Image may contain: Worship, Church, Cathedral, Tower, Building, Architecture

Leeds Uni has received £1.2m in grants from companies with links to the arms trade

It’s been happening since 2013

A Freedom of Information request has revealed that since 2013, the University of Leeds has received over £1.2m in research grants and funding from organisations and companies linked to the arms trade.

The grants have been given by organisations such as the Centre for Defence Enterprise, the US Army TACOM and BAE Systems among others.

BAE Systems, is the third largest arms producer in the world.

According to the Campaign Against Arms Trade, BAE's warplanes have 'played a central role in Saudi Arabia's attacks in Yemen', and its 'armoured vehicles were used by Saudi Arabia in Bahrain to support the repression of democracy protests in 2011.'

The highest total was from the Air Force Research Lab Munitions Directorate, which gave the University over £300,000 in grants from September 2013 to March of last year.

According to their own website, AFRL Munitions Directorate are a 'global leader in advancing weapons science and technology.'

The donations were largely to the Faculties of Engineering and Maths & Physical Sciences, although the Faculty of Medicine & Health have also benefited.

Despite the university having an ethical research policy, the FOI report states that this doesn't necessarily involve rejecting donations from companies with such links.

The Tab Leeds has contacted the University and is awaiting a statement in response.