What to wear for an interview

Got an interview for a graduate job or summer internship coming up? Check out our guide on what to wear.

It’s about that time of year when everyone is applying for that coveted now summer internship or graduate job.

You’ve done the hard work. You’ve sent off your CV and sold yourself in a shamelessly arrogant cover letter. The company want to meet you and you’re panicking about to what to wear.

My beautiful models Jon and Kaz will demonstrate what and what not to wear to an interview.

Boys

Do:

It’s always best to look the part by suiting up. Make sure to wear a non-offensive colour shirt and that you’ve got a tie to match. Remember to buy the right size. No one wants a button to fly across the interview room when you first sit down.

As for shoes, the interviewer will see right through the all-black converse, so polish your smartest dress shoes.

Don’t:

Don’t wear jeans and make sure your shirt is tucked in. What’s the point of going to the effort of wearing a blazer and tie only to give off the impression that you still need your mum to dress you? This is an interview, the office Christmas party… No novelty ties allowed!

There isn’t a lot of room for error with boys as long as you steer clear of looking scruffy.  A decent fitted suit should work just fine.

Girls

Do:

Try to look as smart as you can. A two-piece suit is a great choice. Although, pencil skirts with smart blouses work just as well.

If you’re going for heels, make sure they are of a modest height. Equally, a smart pair of flats will suffice.

Don’t:

Girls, the fashion world is your oyster when it comes to office attire, so there is more chance to get it horribly wrong.

Don’t wear ridiculously short skirts. You’ll look unprofessional.  If you’re going to wear a skirt, keep it knee length, or even lower.

Keep the make-up to a minimum. You want to look natural and not done up like you’re heading to QUALITE as soon as the interview is over.

What you wear is only a small part of the interview, but in this day and age, first impressions are so important. Dress smart, and be yourself and you should be fine. Good luck!

This article was originally published on The Tab Leeds.