Third time’s a charm: Round three of Edi’s top student creatives to watch in 2021

Three is the magic number

The third time is most definitely the charm, with another round of even more creative talent from the students of Edi.

Looking to celebrate the artistic talents of Edinburgh’s student population, The Edinburgh Tab is here with an exciting new series of articles, showcasing the creators that truly represent the best of the best and should definitely be on your radar in 2021.

Do you fancy yourself as one of Edi’s top student creatives to watch in 2021? If so let us know by completing our form here.

Here are the talented students of round three, truly putting the rest of us to shame.

Oliver FJ Jones – 4th Year, Intermedia

What is your creative passion, skill or pursuit?

Fashion Artist

What inspired you to start doing this?

“I took part in ECA’s first year fashion and whilst on the course discovered that I wanted to fuse together and include my fine art/painting background with fashion. It seemed like the right thing to do to change course and work without limitations.”

Is there any particular message you want your work to communicate?

“I’ve always made my work in response to gender subversion, queer culture and gender stereotyping. I intend to set create work with strong queer messages, with references to historic aesthetics.”

via @oliver.f.j.jones_studio on Instagram

Where do you see this going in the future?

“I wish to expand my own bespoke side of working into an online business where unique finds, from accessories to jackets are sold as one of pieces to both wear and collect.”

Check out more of Oliver’s work on his Instagram and his website.

Hannah Robinson – 4th Year, History of Art

Satirical Cartooning/ Illustration

What inspired you to start doing this?

“A need to make light of the silly world we live in!”

via @robinsondraws on Instagram

“At the end of the day, this world is a rather silly place. As a cartoonist and illustrator, I thrive off satire and saying things like ‘willy’ every now and then. In my mind, it  helps keep perspective when life gets a bit much. You can’t tell me comparing an enthusiastic hand-sanitiser to premature ejaculation in the middle of a pandemic isn’t a little bit fun?

“Subject matter? Well I love drawing strangers. The usual set up is coffee, a sketchbook and subtle stalking. If it isn’t subtle, you end up in awkward situations where people either think you’re a spy or want to talk to you. Neither of which is the case.”

“I hope to cartoon for The New Yorker and illustrate for editorial.”

Check out more of Hannah’s work on her Instagram and her website.

Josie Berry – 4th Year, Photography

Photography

What inspired you to start doing this?

“I loved art in school but never found I was able to communicate my ideas properly through painting or drawing. I attended a course in Fashion Photography at London College of Fashion aged 16 on a sort of whim and found that photography was the medium which best allowed me to translate my ideas into art. I picked up an old fully manual film camera off eBay and went from there!”

“I aim to create soft, intimate portraits – currently with a particular focus on depicting different configurations of masculinity. I want my photographs to authentically depict my subjects and to give you a little glimpse into how they see. I crop closely in on their face and use a shallow depth of field to separate them from their surroundings; allowing nowhere to hide within the frame.”

via @josie.berry.art on Instagram

“I’m really hoping to become a professional photographer, in either fine arts or fashion. For me the focus on portraiture is crucial so being able to continue this practise would be always important to me. In the short term I wish to continue taking compelling portraits of people – so do get in touch if you’re interested!”

Check out more of Josie’s work on her Instagram and her website.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

• Round one of Edi’s top student creatives to watch in 2021 is here

Time for round two of Edi’s top student creatives to watch in 2021

• We spoke to the producer behind the Edinburgh Uni student mental health documentary