Covid tests will be given on campus before students go home for Christmas

They’re expected to be available from 30th November

Coronavirus tests will be administered by the university on campus before students go home this Christmas, says email from uni.

The tests are available on a voluntary basis, with two being offered five days apart. Providing students test negative both times, they are safe to return home.

If either tests are positive, students will be required to isolate.

The tests are expected to be available from 30th November. More information on specific arrangements, including dates for tests and how to book a test, will be shared soon.

Earlier in the week, the Scottish Minister of Education asked that students who are looking to return home reduce their social mixing two weeks prior to their travel. This means only leaving the house for essential shopping and exercise.

The Scottish government also recommended that there be “staggered” departures from uni, but the email from Edi said they expect this will happen “naturally”. Edi will ask in the coming weeks for students’ plans to return home to help map out departures.

You can check the uni website for up to date Covid news and find further information on restrictions in Scotland on gov.Scot.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

• Students in Scotland will be offered Covid tests before they go home for Christmas

• Edinburgh could have a mass Covid vaccine rollout as early as next month

• Edinburgh is to remain in Level 3 coronavirus restrictions confirms Nicola Sturgeon