Image may contain: Shirt, Hand, Long Sleeve, T-Shirt, Face, Sleeve, Person, Human, Clothing, Apparel

Meet the cast of Edinburgh Uni student theatre group ‘The Improverts’

They’re performing at the Fringe this August

For those of you who may not have heard of them, Edinburgh University Theatre Company's improvised comedy troupe, The Improverts, are a pretty huge deal in the Edinburgh theatre world.

The improv group, orignally named Theatresports after the form of competitive improvisation, was first founded in 1989 and has been known as The Improverts since 1997. The group is celebrating its 30th birthday this year.

Image may contain: People, Face, Brochure, Flyer, Paper, Poster, Advertisement, Person, Human, Apparel, Clothing

The group is comprised entirely of Edinburgh University students, with notable alumni over the years including comedian Miles Jupp, known for playing Archie in Balamory, and Ewen MacIntosh, who played Keith Bishop in The Office.

As the theatre group enters its dirty thirties, it returns to the Edinburgh Fringe this August as the Fringe’s longest running improvised comedy group. The group is not only set to perform every single night of the Fringe, but promises a wholly unique performance each night also.

The show itself is based entirely on audience suggestions. This, met with The Improverts' distinctive blend of lightning-fast wit, expert tech, and a varying mix of its incredibly talented 'players' each night, makes for a very exciting run of performances indeed.

The Improverts saw an impressive sell-out rate of 89% at the Edinburgh Fringe 2018. They will be peforming at the Bedlam Theatre, which also happens to offer the cheapest pint at the Fringe. You're welcome.

You can purchase tickets by following this link.

Scroll on to meet the cast of this year's show!

Sophie Tutton, Player/MVP, 21, Veterniary Medicine (Graduate)

Image may contain: Haircut, Hair, Person, Face, Human

What's an interesting fact you can give us?

Flat earth.

What does The Improverts mean to you?

Inclusion, confusion, collusion.

James Strahan, Player/lover/fighter, 23, Computer Science (Graduate)

Image may contain: Photography, Photo, Portrait, Apparel, Clothing, Beard, Face, Person, Human

There's no dogs. Also an Edinburgh tour guide.

What does The Improverts mean to you?

Synergy, blood doping and synergy.

Will Langston, Player, 22, Linguistics and English Language (Graduate)

Image may contain: Cloak, Fashion, Person, Human, Long Sleeve, Sleeve, Apparel, Clothing

An individual wonton weighs exactly one tonne!

What does The Improverts mean to you?

Lovely funny friends.

Orla Newmark, Player, 22, Chinese and French (2nd year)

Image may contain: Black Hair, Smile, Apparel, Clothing, Photography, Portrait, Photo, Female, Hair, Human, Person, Face

The moon was quite pink last night.

What does The Improverts mean to you?

Smart, sexy, slap.

Henry Coldstream, Player, 23, Linguistics and Philosophy (Graduate)

Image may contain: Face, Finger, Man, Person, Human

Henry Coldstream is a character performed by Improvert James Strahan hence why they can never perform in the same show!

What does The Improverts mean to you?

No scripts baby.

Taliah Horner, Player, 23, MInf Informatics (Graduate)

Image may contain: Photography, Photo, Portrait, Smile, T-Shirt, Sleeve, Human, Face, Person, Apparel, Clothing

I am dog spy (don't tell J Strahan).

What does The Improverts mean to you?

Do do run run.

Rob Merriam, Player, 20, English Literature (3rd year)

Image may contain: Hair, Photography, Portrait, Photo, Man, Smile, Person, Human, Face

You don't actually have to wait at pedestrian crossings, you can just cross whenever you want.

What does The Improverts mean to you?

State of mind.

Joshua Garrett, Player, 20, Philosophy and English Literature (3rd year)

Image may contain: Boy, Sleeve, Man, Head, Portrait, Photography, Photo, Apparel, Clothing, Face, Human, Person

It’s safer to wait at pedestrian crossings.

What does The Improverts mean to you?

What. Was. That.

Anna Reeves, Player, 18, Music (1st year)

Image may contain: Hair, Finger, Portrait, Photography, Photo, Long Sleeve, Child, Girl, Kid, Woman, Blonde, Teen, Female, Clothing, Sleeve, Apparel, Human, Person, Face

A posie or small bunch of flowers can also be referred to as a ‘nosegay’. Also in a band.

What does The Improverts mean to you?

Individuality, immediacy, excitement.

Charlotte Hawkins, Producer, 23, History (Graduate)

Image may contain: Photography, Photo, Portrait, T-Shirt, Smile, Sleeve, Human, Face, Person, Apparel, Clothing

Interesting fact?

A triplet who has seen almost all the shows this year – it's my job right!?

What does The Improverts mean to you?

Fun, family/cult, accepting.

Mae Moore, Director/player, 22, Religious Studies (Graduate)

Image may contain: Photography, Photo, Portrait, Female, Dimples, Smile, Person, Face, Human

I'm related to Isaac Newton.

What does The Improverts mean to you?

Creativity, authenticity, grapefruit.

The Improverts perform every Friday during term time at 10:30pm at Bedlam Theatre and see a 90% sell-out rate during the academic year. The group runs free improv workshops every Saturday during term-time where they scout new players. They also host and teach free tech workshops. You can find out more information here.