Image may contain: Flagstone, Outdoors, Banister, Handrail, Railing, Pavement, Sidewalk, Human, Person, Path, Walkway

Edinburgh named as the second healthiest university in the UK

Researchers were impressed by facilities at Pleasance Gym

A survey by MyStudentHalls.com has ranked Edinburgh as the second best university in the country for a healthier student lifestyle, behind the University of Nottingham. The universities of York, Glasgow and Bristol were also ranked in the top five.

The survey looked at the 28 best universities in the UK according to The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2019, and attributed points according to the cost and range of gym facilities, number of yoga and meditation societies, accessible mindfulness resources, and the number of societies available to support students who choose not to drink. Edinburgh scored 18 out of a possible 26 points.

Researchers praised the impressive facilities at Edinburgh's Pleasance Gym, as well as the affordable price of a full gym membership – which can cost up to an incredible £630 at other universities. Edinburgh was also credited for producing Olympic medal-winning alumni Sir Chris Hoy and Katherine Grainger. Lastly, MyStudentHalls were impressed with the university's mindfulness resources, which include free sessions run by mindfulness chaplain Dr Avinash Bansode.

Dan Roberts, founder of MyStudentHalls, told inews: “For so long, student culture has been synonymous with drinking and partying, but it’s clear that a wider shift towards wellness is reflective in the ways that students are spending their money and free time, as well as how they eat, sleep and live.

"It’s really important that universities, organisations and accommodation providers are offering a range of living and working spaces, as well as affordable amenities for student wellness.”