Image may contain: Beard, Person, People, Human

Harry Potter themed escape rooms have just opened in Edinburgh

Did you know Harry Potter was written here?

J. K. Rowling wrote Harry Potter here in Edinburgh, and business owners have licked their lips at the commercial potential of this ever since the franchise blew up. Following the recent craze, a Harry Potter themed escape room has now opened in Edinburgh.

The new escape room is situated on Blair Street, just down from Tron Square, and conveniently on the same street as Cab Vol. The atmosphere that Edinburgh has is already quote a lot like that of Hogwarts, with the huge castle standing high above everything else, and the cobbled streets weaving through Old Town.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhYt_hUHZ8F/?taken-by=department.mysteries

The experience is said to really immerse you in the world of Harry Potter, wearing cloaks, and being given your very own wand to complete the look. There's also a change to enjoy a Butterbeer and a Chocolate Frog at the end of the experience.

John Millar, the director of The Department of Mysteries said: "This is more than just an escape room. This is a truly immersive experience, we want people to believe in this magical world of witchcraft and wizardry as they cast their spells and brew their potions."

STV warned the public to be prepared for "potions, dragons and a delightful amount of references to the globally adored Harry Potter books".

Pricing starts at £14 per person for groups of five, going up to £20 per person for groups of two.

Get breaking Edinburgh news straight to your WhatsApp by clicking here. If you have any tips, message us on +44 7715 750931.