Spotted: Towners and Gowners working together

Students and locals put their problems behind them and work together to raise awareness for Muscular Dystrophy

Sunday the 9th of March saw the first ever ‘Town and Gown 10k’ run. Durham students joined residents in an attempt to raise £10,000 for the Muscular Dystrophy Campaign.

Donned in orange T-shirts – the charity’s vibrant signature colour –  runners were taken on a scenic route that weaved around the River Wear, and included all the key sites of the City such as the Cathedral, the Bailey and Market Square.

Muscular Dystrophy (MD), which affects at least 70,000 families in the UK, is genetic and currently incurable, causing muscles to progressively weaken and waste.

Natalie Grant, a Hild Bede Fresher who ran in support of 7 year old sufferer Evey, said “Having witnessed the everyday struggle of children with muscular dystrophy, I decided I needed to use my own muscles to run for a charity that could help sufferers; both in terms of its provision of practical and emotional support, and through the Campaign’s funding of groundbreaking research into effective treatments and cures.”

Run Forrest Run!

ITV newsreader Nina Hossain, who studied English language and linguistics at Durham, also participated in the event in support of two-year-old Iris. At the finish line, Nina emphasised how “inspirational” the day had been:

“Durham should be very proud, as should the hundreds of runners who gave up their Sunday morning to support the Muscular Dystrophy Campaign. Let’s make it thousands next year!”

Runners were rewarded for their efforts, both in terms of fundraising and training, with perfect spring weather.