I’m driving home for Christmas: Prepare for some serious train strikes

Here is how they will affect you and some advice so you can get home

The end of term is fast approaching, and many of you will be preparing to face the trek home.

Although travelling back to your hometown may seem simple to some, the upcoming train strikes will be sure to throw a spanner in the works.

When are the strikes taking place?

Action has been declared to happen on Tuesday-Wednesday, 13-14 December and Thursday-Friday, 16-17 December, the week university finishes. There will also be strikes when we return in January.

Why are there strikes?

The cost of living crisis has led the unions to decide to strike over job cuts, changes to terms and conditions, and pay.

Anyone planning on travelling on or around these dates must factor in the possibility of severe disruption.

There is an undeniable beauty to the UK’s train network. You avoid airport security so you can safely transport any goodies you have acquired from your new stoke bishop ‘pal’. You also get to soak in the beautiful countryside whilst desperately attempting to use the LNER wifi to watch your lectures from week 3.

Despite these simple pleasures, there are some serious things you should consider before travelling home this Christmas due to the declared strike action.

First, check train times and book ahead. You don’t want to be abandoned mid-train strike and forced to pay £40 to get on an overcrowded coach home.

Second, don’t go out the night before your train. The stations will most likely be much busier than usual, and you will need your wits about you. Additionally, chunning in the train loo is never pleasant.

Finally, raid Temple Mead’s WHSmith in case of a 24-hour delay in a Leed’s Premier Inn (yes, that can happen), sit back, relax and get excited about arriving home on time.

Remember, if you run into delays or trouble, you can most often claim compensation from the train company for any inconvenience caused.