Masks AND visors now required in Bristol Uni classes

A rise in the R rate prompted the change

Bristol Uni has announced that both visors and masks will be compulsory for in-person teaching.

A university spokesperson said that a rise in the R (or ‘reproduction’) rate of the virus in the South West had prompted the change in policy.

This is a change from only days ago when only visors were going to be required for in-person teaching.

Updated guidance on the university website says that masks are now mandatory in all indoor spaces on spaces on campus, and that it must be a different one to that worn on public transport.

Both masks and visors are now mandatory during teaching, as well as when queuing for classes.

A spokesperson for the University of Bristol said: “Following the rise in the R rate, we have updated our policy on face covering and now require masks to be worn in any indoor space on campus to minimise the potential spread of Coronavirus.

“For in-person teaching, we require students to wear both a mask and a visor. Further information is available on our website and we will be communicating with all students in due course.”

The current R rate of the Coronavirus in the South West is estimated to be between 0.9 and 1.6, the lowest in England.

This is a rise since the 31st of July, when the R rate was estimated to be between 0.8 and 1.1.

Follow The Bristol Tab on Facebook and Instagram for the latest Bristol Uni updates!