Students Caught In Cannabis Crackdown

Record number of university students are being caught in possession of cannabis

Six Bristol students have been caught smoking weed in the last month by local police.

Police figures from the first four weeks of term suggest that more students than ever before are toking up, especially in first year halls, where the majority of offences have occurred.

Photo: UK Home Office

Students who are caught green-handed can escape with a warning for their first offence but repeat offenders face the possibility of fines, cautions and criminal records.

This relatively lax approach seems at odds with the drug’s reclassification as Class B. Other Class B drugs popular with students such as MCAT do not receive such lenient treatment from police.

“You’d think the police would have something better to do”, complained one second year student. “I draw the line at other drugs but weed’s harmless.”

Despite the rising number of students being caught by police and university security, it seems unlikely that campus is going to get less green any time soon.

“You won’t stop people from smoking it”, one recent graduate told The Tab. “Unless you’re being a dick and making it obvious, how will they ever know you’ve got weed on you?”

Students intent on continuing to smoke weed should remember to be subtle. A group of inept local pot-growers were arrested last month after their 6 foot tall cannabis plant was spotted in their garden from the street.