Havoc in McClay as library lockdown causes ‘slight inconvenience’

The perfect ‘sorry I’m late excuse’ becomes a reality

gates inconvenience library lockdown

There were scenes of havoc in McClay yesterday as students were trapped inside the building, unable to leave due to dysfunctional gates.

Hordes of dedicated students were forced to stay in the foyer of the library for up to 10 whole minutes until the turnstiles were able to allow movement again.

Not only were people unable to leave the library to go to classes, students couldn’t enter the academic vicinity despite actually wanting to do work.

Library lockdown caused a queue only comparable to Boojum

Grainne McKinney, 3rd year History and English student, says that Monday was not the first time the inconvenient incident had occurred.

She says: “I witnessed the same catastrophe on Thursday.

“I was on the other side of the gate and it was hilarious. The pure panic on peoples faces when they thought they weren’t getting out was priceless.”

The joyless faces of trapped students as they await their release

For those on the inside of the lockdown it was a different story.

Speaking from the heart of the crisis, student Phelim Boyle says: “I was exiting the library and I was there waiting for about five minutes before the crowd started moving through the gates.

“Things were fine for seven or eight people, then an alarm sounded and red lights were flashing from the gate’s LED’s.

“The gates stopped working and we then had to wait another five minutes before we could move on.

“I was slightly inconvenienced, but it did not affect me that badly.”

Psychology student Dearbhla McGinn  noticed the build up  as she attempted to leave the library to get to class.

The second year says: “I was a bit annoyed as I was in a rush to a tutorial but it wasn’t really an inconvenience for me.

“It was cleared up quite quickly, there was just a load of people as it was 3ish and was super busy.”

It is be assumed that for the next few days this will be the new classic of ‘late to class’ excuses if the gates continue to trap students in the library.