Revealed: The insanely high amount Netflix pays agents to appear on Selling Sunset

Like Jason Oppenheim needs to earn any more money

You know how every season we wonder if The Oppenheim Group agents actually do any work or really sell houses? Well it turns out they’re probably not fussed about if they do or not, because the reported figure they get in pay from Netflix for appearing on Selling Sunset is through the roof compared to anything they get in commission.

When they’re at work as agents, the cast members aren’t paid a salary – instead they work purely on commission. The commission is usually about five per cent of the price the house sells for. That five per cent is then split in half between the person who represents the seller, and the person who brings the buyer, so you end up with 2.5 per cent of the overall sale price.

Then, a cut of this goes to the brokerage, and a cut to the agent. Jason has previously said agents keep 80 per cent, and he takes 20 per cent for The Oppenheim Group. So basically, the amount the agents come home with is a much smaller figure.

Let’s take an example – Chrishell earned $80k in commission for a house sale during season eight. She would then split that with the buyer’s agent, $40k each. Chrishell then gets to keep 80 per cent of her $40k, and gives 20 per cent to The O Group. So, she received $32k.

Selling Sunset on Netflix

via Netflix

But, how much does Netflix pay the Selling Sunset agents?

However, all that commission maths doesn’t matter, because there are reported figures for how much the agents receive in pay from Netflix for just appearing on Selling Sunset, and it’s much more.

It’s been claimed Jason Oppenheim gets around $1million a season from Netflix, and this $1million salary is matched for favourite agent cast members, one of which being named as Chrishell Stause. It’s been reported other show regulars who have been around for a long time, such as Mary Fitzgerald, are paid around $500k per season by Netflix.

It’s not been confirmed how much newer cast members are earning, but it’s probably still a decent wage, but lower. According to the report, what influences how much the agents are paid is: Popularity of the cast member, experience on the show and their role on the show – i.e. if they are main cast members with lots of filming time.

No wonder they keep coming back for more!

Selling Sunset is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.