barbie cast

Meet the ridiculously star-studded cast of Greta Gerwig’s Barbie

The trailer just dropped!!!

The first teaser trailer for Greta Gerwig’s HUGELY-anticipated Barbie film has finally been released, and I’m officially more excited than ever.

We really don’t know much about the plotline of the film – it’s incredibly shrouded in mystery. What we do know, however, is the cast is absolutely packed to the brim with the “who’s who” of Hollywood. Even the non-A-listers are still major TV stars here in the UK, making for one iconic watch.

So, from Margot Robbie to Ncuti Gatwa – it’s time to meet the ridiculously star-studded cast of the upcoming Barbie film:

Margot Robbie

barbie cast

Photo via Warner Bros on YouTube

Anyone who grew up playing with dolls probably envisioned themselves *being* Barbie at one point or another – and I can’t think of anyone better to play her than the unrivalled Margot Robbie. Before Greta Gerwig took the reins as writer/director; Amy Schumer and Anne Hathaway (respectively) were tipped to take on the role.

Ryan Gosling

ryan gosling

Photo via Warner Bros. on YouTube

Ryan Gosling wasn’t the most obvious choice for Ken, in my opinion. But the minute I saw him in his little open-vest number and bleach-blonde hair, I knew he was going to kill it. This year, Ryan also starred in Netflix’s The Gray Man, and has also been filming for a big-screen remake of the TV comedy The Fall Guy.

Will Ferrell

will ferrell

Photo via ABC

Will’s character will exist in the real, non-Barbiefied world. That being said, he’s actually playing the real CEO of Mattel, Ynon Kreiz! The last time we saw Will Ferrell on our screens, he was playing the Ghost of Christmas Present in the Apple TV series Spirited. Behind the camera, he produced the highly-acclaimed film The Menu.

Ncuti Gatwa

Ncuti gatwa

via Netflix

Our fifteenth Doctor; Lord and Saviour Ncuti Gatwa will be playing an alternative version of Ken in the Barbieverse – and I, for one, couldn’t be more thrilled. As well as making his name in Doctor Who, Ncuti is also famous for his role as Eric in Sex Education. Although, sadly, he’ll be leaving the series next year.

America Ferrera

america ferrera

Photo via TED on YouTube

Ugly Betty herself will be playing an undisclosed character in the upcoming film. This year, America has also starred in Apple TV+ series WeCrashed. And, rogue fact, she was in the music video for Jay-Z’s Family Feud. She really gets everywhere, our Betty.

Sharon Rooney

barbie cast

Photo via E4

THEE Rae from My Mad, Fat Diary will be in the Barbie film, and I’m so, so happy. Again, the filmmakers have been super secretive about which actors will be playing which characters. But, rest assured, her screentime will be legendary.

Michael Cera

michael cera

Photo via ABC

Lovely Michael Cera will be making his big return to film in Barbie, after being everyone’s embarrassing crush back in the noughties (and a meme in the 2010s). Throughout 2022, he’s had a main role in Amy Schumer’s comedy series Life & Beth, as well as Amazon animation The Boys Presents: Diabolical.

Issa Rae

issa rae

Photo via Warner Bros. on YouTube

Issa Rae will play another Barbie in the film. She’s also currently filming for 2023’s Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse movie! You’ll undoubtedly recognise her from amazing shows like Insecure and BoJack Horseman.

Kate McKinnon

kate mckinnon

Photo via NBC

Kate McKinnon, who played Carole Baskin in that awful Tiger King drama, Joe vs. Carole, will also star in Barbie. She was also in The Bubble back in March, which starred Judd Apatow and Karen Gillan.

Emma Mackey

Barbie cast

Photo via Instagram @emmatmackey

Sex Education’s Emma Mackey, and famously Margot Robbie’s doppelganger, will be making her big, proper Hollywood debut literally alongside Margot Robbie. This is simply iconic – if you ask me. She did a couple of lower-budget films this year, like Death on the Nile and Emily.

Emerald Fennell

emerald fennell

Photo via the Oscars on YouTube

Emerald Fennell has been in Promising Young Woman, Anna Karenina and executive produced episodes of Killing Eve. But, I think it’s fair to say her most famous role has been Camilla Parker-Bowles (do I have to call her the qu**n?) in seasons three and four of The Crown. She’s a huge talent and I’m hugely excited to see what she’s been given to do in Barbie.

Jamie Demetriou

jamie demetriou

Photo via BAFTA on YouTube

I can’t believe Stath Lets Flats is going to be in the Barbie film – this is officially the best fever dream ever. Of late Jamie Demetriou has also been in Fleabag, Catherine Called Birdy and Disney’s Pinocchio remake.