Barbie film

Here’s everything we know about Greta Gerwig’s mysterious upcoming Barbie film

Doctor Who and Ugly Betty starring alongside Margot Robbie? Give it to me now!

As a 26-year-old gay man, Greta Gerwig stan and Margot Robbie enthusiast – the upcoming 2023 film Barbie is my Mount Olympus of cinema. I will be insufferable from round about now until the release of the film, so buckle up for your own sakes. Greta Gerwig has kept her cards extremely close to her chest on what the vibes of Barbie are actually going to be. So, here is everything we actually know – CONFIRMED – about the Barbie film so far.

When is Greta Gerwig’s Barbie out?

Barbie has had a rollercoaster of a journey through the film industry so far – it first began early discussions in 2009, before seriously starting production in 2014 via Sony Pictures. It was passed between a few writers and directors (at one point Diablo Cody of Juno fame was doing the screenplay) before the film was transferred from Sony to Warner Bros.

Now, the film has Greta Gerwig directing (Little Women, Lady Bird) and writing the screenplay, alongside her partner Noah Baumbach. The film has had multiple previous release dates set, a couple in 2017, two in 2018, a Covid postponed one in 2020. Now the film’s release is set for July 21st 2023. Just over a year to go!

Via Warner Bros Pictures

What’s it going to actually be about?

Okay – so here’s the mystery. From the amount of rewrites and ‘creative differences’ changes that have been going on with Barbie since the film started production in 2014, it’s safe to say that the tone and premise of it have changed over time.

Greta Gerwig is intentionally keeping details under wraps, but she has said the following: “We like the things that feel a little left of centre. Something like Barbie where the IP, the name itself, people immediately have an idea of, ‘Oh, Margot is playing Barbie, I know what that is,’ but our goal is to be like, ‘Whatever you’re thinking, we’re going to give you something totally different — the thing you didn’t know you wanted.’ Now, can we truly honour the IP and the fan base and also surprise people? Because if we can do all that and provoke a thoughtful conversation, then we’re really firing on all cylinders.”

My predictions? I think the tone is going to be darker than the ray of sunshine appeal of the IP and the pictures seen so far. I think it’s going to touch a lot on unrealistic body expectations for women and I kind of hope it has a sinister existential undertone. I’d love a Barbie becoming self-aware, Black Mirror tinged tone. But I trust Greta Gerwig with my life – she will wow whatever she does.

Via Warner Bros Pictures

Who is in the cast?

Margot Robbie is Barbie – of course. Literally one of the most perfect casting decisions of recent memory, methinks. The part was briefly linked to Anne Hathaway and, harrowingly, Amy Schumer. Ryan Gosling is the Ken to Margot’s Barbie – but the plot thickens. Other names have been signed to allegedly be playing other Barbies and Kens. Simu Liu (Shang-Chi!) and Ncuti Gatwa (Sex Education! DOCTOR WHO!!!) are other Kens, and Issa Rae (Insecure) and trans actress Hari Nef will star as other Barbies.

Will Ferrell is also cast as the CEO of a toy company. Other big names cast who we don’t know the roles of yet include America Ferrera from Ugly Betty, Emerald Fennell of The Crown and Promising Young Woman fame, Michael Cera, Kate McKinnon and Jamie Demetriou from Stath Lets Flats!!!!

What pictures do we have so far?

Pictures from the filming have started to come on to social media. Here’s a roundup of what we’ve seen a glimpse of so far!

Here’s the first clip of Margot Robbie’s voice in the Barbie film!

We’ll update this article with more information as and when we get it, so keep your eyes peeled!

Featured image courtesy of Warner Bros. Pictures.

Recommended stories by this writer:

• So Spotify scores your singing now in a new karaoke mode, here’s how to get it

• Horace is going viral on TikTok but this isn’t the first time you’ve seen the little guy

• Ranked: These are the TikTok users with the most followers in the world