frazzled british woman

All the signs you’re channeling the frazzled English woman aesthetic

There’s more to the look than one of those thin little scarves

Cottagecore, dark academia, soft girl, e-girl, clean girl, there are enough aesthetics to give you an aneurysm. But just when you thought you couldn’t get on board with any more micro trends, TikTok found a way to harness burnout and make it fashion with the frazzled English woman aesthetic.

Now everyone, especially Edinburgh uni students, is trying to dress like Kate Winslet in Love Actually, Keira Knightley in The Holiday or Bridget Jones—minus the massive pants.

Credit: Universal

Going off the archetype, the frazzled English woman is middle class, has an office job, wears loads of knitwear, scarves, belts, claw clips, lengthy skirts and knee-high boots. Tbh, from the vibe alone, Friend’s Phoebe Buffay nails the aesthetic— but she’s not in a Richard Curtis romcom.

On TikTok, videos on “how to get the frazzled English woman aesthetic” have hundreds of thousands of views. Because, if you’re not a middle class woman working in publishing who chain smokes Marlborough golds and kisses Colin Firth in the rain, how do you know you’re doing it right?

So, in case your confused about whether your look is frazzled English woman or just straight up goblin mode, here are all the signs you’re channeling the frazzled English woman aesthetic:

You’re actually pretty put together in a casual way

Look closely and you’ll see these frazzled women aren’t that frazzled at all. There are absolutely no dark roots growing out from their perfect blonde highlights, they don’t have any acne, their cheeks are perfectly flushed. You might be running around chaotically with a tote bag but you still need to look more like ’90s Keira Knightly than Shirley from EastEnders.

@russhmagazine

Is this a thing? The era of the sensible yet frazzled 2000s English woman is upon us! #y2kaesthetic #y2kenglishwoman #frazzledenglishwoman #y2kstyle

♬ cant get you out of my head. – 🦆

You want to be buried in your winter coat

Coats are an investment and you’re living, breathing, dying in yours. Think tailored, thigh length style, usually  grey or burgundy with a bit of shearling lining round the lapels or fluff at the sleeves if you’re lucky. Obv paired with a beanie, scarf and gloves because you aren’t just frazzled but very very cold.

There’s a skinny scarf round your neck at all times

Hot? Cold? Doesn’t matter. Your skinny scarf can do it all. Worn with big coats, over roll necks, with waist coats in night clubs, you won’t be seen dead without it. For heat, this accessory does essentially nothing and cost you at least £40.

Credit: Universal

You’re not afraid of a clashing pattern or colour

Stripes with florals are absolutely fine when it comes to frazzled English woman dressing. Although, tbh, it’s not all as careless as it appears to be. “Clashing colours” essentially just mean many shades of red and maroon all in one outfit— but they’re still at the same end of the colour spectrum.

You’re still somehow wearing skirts in the depths of winter

The flimsiness of her skirts probably explains why the frazzled English woman needs 20 other layers, hats, scarves and gloves to keep her self warm because her legs are 100% frozen solid from the cold. Floral, silk, denim and midis all work. Or, for the really brave, Bridget’s micro mini.

bridget jones

Credit: Universal

Your face shape actually suits baker boy hats

Apparently, oval shaped faces are best for baker boy caps. Bonus points if the hat is denim and there are a few perfect strands of hair hanging out the sides.

Credit: Universal

You’re single

This one is basically crucial. Your love life is in tatters. A fuck boy has just ruined your Winter but a love interest is coming and he’s probably wearing a loose fit shirt or a reindeer jumper.

Credit: Universal

Featured image credit via Universal.