Icesis Couture blackface

Drag Race’s Icesis Couture releases statement after being falsely accused of doing blackface

‘How is it okay that I have to wake up my sick mother to dig up pictures to prove that I am ethnic?’

Canada’s Drag Race season two winner and due-to-be Canada’s Drag Race Versus the World contestant Icesis Couture has released a lengthy statement after she was wrongly accused of blackface on Twitter.

‘I’m so tired of this, it’s not okay’

In a lengthy statement posted to her Twitter page alongside a photo of her as a child, Icesis said the following: “How is any of this OK? I have to wake up my sick 60-year-old mother to dig through boxes to find pictures of me and my family to prove that I am ethnic.

“Dig up pictures from a time and of a man that almost beat me to death because I was too gay or not ‘Latino’ enough. I’m so tired of this, it’s not OK. I’m a 35-year-old man and I still don’t belong because my skin tone does not match my hair texture. I’m allowed to have a terrible spray tan. I stay quiet for this exact reason.

Any time I discuss who I really am I am persecuted from every side. This drove me to attempt killing myself when I was younger. You choosing to rewrite my past to cancel my future does not and will not ever discredit me as a person of colour. I am proud of my culture and will never apologise for it.

Unless you are a black person of Afro-descent this conversation is not for you. Stay in your lane, and listen to Black people on Black matters.”

“What I will apologise to and for,” Icesis continues, “Is to any Black person who may be affected by this. I completely understand and respect with 2022 eyes how people who don’t know me, my ethnicity or have any context other than what they see on TV can see this as an issue. This is not the situation, but your feelings alone are valid and I would never do anything to hurt the community I am from, grew up with and love.

“You mean the world to me, and I am truly sorry if I have ever done anything but lift you up right alongside me. To the POC people and my family who I have spoken to behind the scenes, thank you for supporting me and reassuring me that who I am is valid and I am not only a welcomed part of this community, but an important one.

“I’m saddened the world has come to persecuting POC people because they don’t fit your ideal image, and you storm their doorstep with fire and pitchforks demanding they prove their ethnicity ‘or else'”.

“I have built my life, my career and my family supporting and giving a safe space to POC when no one else will. It takes very little effort to open your eyes and see who I surround myself with, what I do, who I am and what I will continue to do. If you care to know more about the real me, this conversation will continue at a later date with a group of POC people to further discuss my ethnicity and my experience as a mixed race Afro Latino.”

‘I gave you what you asked for and it’s still not enough’

Sadly, the statement Icesis Couture made on the false blackface accusations made by a certain, awful group of so-called fans resulted in her making another statement – where she says she is coming off Twitter for good.

“LEAVE ME ALONE! I gave you what you asked for and it’s still not enough. It’s never enough with you guys! Social media is sick! You ask me to interact more, let you guys in more, be more of a presence and I give in because I love you and am so grateful for what you’ve been able to do for me and my family’s lives but it’s just one thing after another.

“Ever since I was announced on the new season I have been attacked daily. I am a damaged, quiet, introverted person who has lived on this Earth for 35 years before you even met me.”

Icesis Couture finished her statement on the treatment of her throughout this vile blackface accusation saga by saying: “My current and past life is for me and me alone. It’s not for you. I’m sorry, but I don’t owe any of you anything.

“What I choose to share is my choice and if you can’t respect me for the person I am then I don’t want you to be a part of my life. I have been through hell and back my entire life, everything that has happened to me and I have worked for became a life that I never thought that I could achieve or deserved.

“I will not allow any of you to take my happiness from me. I will no longer be engaging here, I hope you all enjoy the new season.

“You have broken me. I hope you’re happy.”

Canada’s Drag Race VS the World starts Saturday on WOW Presents Plus. For all the latest reality TV news and gossip and for the best memes and quizzes, like The Holy Church of Love Island on Facebook.