Kellogg’s to Cadbury: All these foods and drinks have to change now the Queen has died

Anything with a Royal Warrant will have to change its packaging

The passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II brings much change. Not only does the country see a new monarch take the throne, but anything that bears the Queen’s Royal Seal will slowly have to be changed to bear that of King Charles. Whilst some are more obvious like cash, coins and postage stamps, some food and drinks products will also have to change now that the Queen has died. This is because they have a Royal Warrant, bestowed upon them from the Queen herself.

According to the Royal website, a Royal Warrant is “granted as a mark of recognition to people or companies who have regularly supplied goods or services to HM The Queen, HRH The Duke of Edinburgh or HRH The Prince of Wales or their Households.” This allows the company to use Her Majesty’s Royal Seal on their products and in relation to their business. Around 30 new Royal Warrants are granted every year, whilst a similar number are also terminated.

via Unsplash

However, upon the death of a monarch, the Royal Warrant does not just carry over so all brands and businesses that currently have one will have to reapply and be approved by King Charles in order to continue using the Seal. If Charles does not grant them a Warrant again, the brand has two years to remove the Seal from all their products, packaging and marketing material.

Some of the well-known products that hold a Royal Warrant and are therefore enjoyed by the royals in their households are Marmite, Cadbury, Weetabix, Twinings tea and Tabasco – who knew the Queen was partial to a bit of spice? Heinz ketchup, Colman’s mustard and Gordon’s gin all bear the Royal Seal on their products so if the King doesn’t approve them again, it’s bye-bye to the packaging we all know and love.

All of these foods and drinks have a Royal Warrant from Queen Elizabeth II:

Heinz, including ketchup

Bollinger champagne

Moet & Chandon champagne

Charbonnel et Walker champagne truffles

via Unsplash

Pimm’s

Gordon’s gin

Britvic tonic water

Maldon sea salt

Cadbury chocolate

Twinings tea

Coca-Cola

Martini

Kellogg’s

Tabasco

Mr Kipling

Ambrosia custard

Cathedral City cheese

Colman’s mustard

Robinsons fruit juice

Ryvita

McVitie’s

Weetabix

Schwartz spices

Loyd Grossman sauces

Marmite

Featured images before edits via Unsplash and Sainsbury’s

• Sorry to break it to you but your favourite takeaways are closing on Monday

• Debunked: Has Wetherspoons stopped selling condoms in its toilets in honour of the Queen?

• These are all the shops and businesses that will be closed for the Queen’s funeral