wetherspoons-condoms

Debunked: Has Wetherspoons stopped selling condoms in its toilets in honour of the Queen?

One person tweeted: ‘A baby boom is what she would have wanted’

In the wake of the Queen’s death, brands have been finding novel ways to pay tribute to the life of Elizabeth II.Some of these gestures of respect have, however, pushed the boundaries of absurdity. A bike rack was reportedly closed in honour of Liz while Morrisons has apparently silenced the beeps on its self-checkout machines. But no story has been so batshit as the one that claims Wetherspoons has paused the sale of condoms in its bathrooms in honour of the late monarch.

Has Wetherspoons stopped selling condoms in honour of the late Queen?

This viral tweet shows a picture of a notice, supposedly placed in a Wetherspoons toilet:

It reads: “No sheaths will be dispensed from this condom vending machine until Wednesday 21st September. We apologise for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding during this time.”

Obviously Twitter has gone into meltdown over the poster. One person tweeted: “This can’t be real, can it? Who even knows anymore.” Another said: “A baby boom is what she would have wanted.”

But as much as we wish this was real, a Wetherspoons spokesperson ruined it for everyone and confirmed to Indy100 that the poster is a “fake”.

If you’re as upset as I am by this, fear not, as Wetherspoons is slashing prices on Thursday 15th September.

The popular pub chain will be offering a 7.5 per cent discount on all menu items. This is unrelated to the Queen’s death.

Wetherspoons boss Tim Martin said that this was to “highlight the benefit of a permanent VAT reduction in the hospitality industry.”

He added: “Taxes should be fair and equitable. It doesn’t make sense for the hospitality industry to subsidise supermarkets.

“However, it is unfair that supermarkets pay zero VAT on food, but pubs and restaurants pay 20 per cent. Pubs have been under fantastic pressure for decades due to the tax disadvantages that they have with supermarkets.”

Featured image: Background: Unsplash (edited)