Just a list of 24 things we *wish* we’d known before starting uni
Your kitchen will inexplicably smell like the bin – learn to live with it
So, you’ve got your A-level grades – whether you smashed it or barely scraped by, congrats! But, what the hell comes next?
You’re probably filled with a *feral* amount of anxiety about the next month or so. Moving out, making new friends, starting a new course… to be honest, you probably don’t even want to hear the word “uni” right now. And don’t worry, I totally get it.
If you want to know what uni is really like though – I mean, REALLY like, read on. This list isn’t for the faint-hearted, and it’s certainly not your standard “study hard and use the library!!” rundown.
No matter where you’re going, these are 24 things we *wish* we’d known before starting uni:
1. It’s okay if you fail first year, actually
2. Go out as much as you can
3. Always claim the free stuff at Freshers – but don’t buy the wristbands
4. If you’re commuting, you’ll still make loads of friends
5. It’s a bad idea to shag someone you live with
6. Probably a bad idea to get serious with your flatmates, too
7. NEVER invite people to your place for afters
8. Your sixth form relationship probably won’t last, sorry
9. Moving in with friends isn’t always as fun as it sounds
10. Most people don’t start their dissertation until two weeks before it’s due
11. Graduation is STRESSFUL and rarely fun
12. Don’t just randomly stop showing up to lectures – it’ll come back to haunt you
13. The canteens are always *extortionate* – don’t bother
14. Make use of your discounts!!!!
15. Sometimes you’ll feel out of your depth, and that’s okay
16. Don’t let anyone shame you for your results
17. Your kitchen will inexplicably smell like bin – learn to live with it
18. Make sure you co-ordinate kitchen appliances – no, seriously
19. Just let everyone know off the bat you’ve never been skiing
20. Don’t pack heels, you won’t wear them
21. There’s no point in pretending you like weird, indie music – go to that cheesy club
22. Never Have I Ever will become a staple game every Friday night
23. Make it your BUSINESS not to draw the last king in Ring Of Fire
24. People aren’t lying, these will probably be the best years of your life
Are you starting uni this year? Follow us on Instagram @thetab_ for all your uni’s gossip, news and top memes