Jennette McCurdy claims she was photographed in bikini and given alcohol as child star

She claimed Nickelodeon offered her $300,000 to never speak about her experiences

Former Nickelodeon child star Jennette McCurdy claims she was photographed in a bikini and encouraged to drink alcohol whilst working on iCarly.

Ahead of the release of her memoir “I’m Glad My Mom Died”, Jennette, who played the character of Sam on iCarly for six seasons, shared an excerpt from her book with The New York Times.

In the excerpt, Jennette claimed she was “being photographed in a bikini at a wardrobe fitting and being encouraged to drink alcohol by an intimidating figure she simply calls the Creator.”

During these times Jennette claims her mother Debra never intervened and would brush the moments off, claiming they were part of the Hollywood experience and said: “Everyone wants what you have.”

via Instagram @jennettemccurdy

Jennette’s memoir covers the relationship she had with her mother who died of cancer in 2013, who she claimed was controlling and abusive throughout her childhood. She details how much her mother controlled her from the meals she ate, to performing breast and vaginal exams on her.

After iCarly ended Jennette said she was promised an iCarly spin-off, which she presumed would be a solo show. However, Jennette was paired up with Ariana Grande for the show that would become Sam & Cat and ran for one season.

Whilst on the show Jennette said she was not allowed to pursue other career opportunities whilst her co-star Ariana Grande was. Jennette said the moment she broke was when “Ariana came whistle-toning in with excitement because she had spent the previous evening playing charades at Tom Hanks’s house.”

Jennette went onto claim Nickelodeon offered her $300,000 (£247,392) to never speak about her experiences at the company publicly, which she declined. Nickelodeon declined to comment when approached by The New York Times regarding this claim. The Tab has contacted Nickelodeon for comment.

Miranda Cosgrove, who played Carly, Jennette’s co-star on the show, said she and Jennette were friends whilst filming but she was unaware of what Jennette was going through.

She said: “When you’re young, you’re so in your own head. You can’t imagine that people around you are having much harder struggles.

“You don’t expect things like that from the person in the room who’s making everyone laugh.”

Jennette’s memoir covers the struggles of her life she has gone through including obsessive compulsive disorder, eating disorders and anxiety all triggered by her experience of fame.

Featured image credit via Chelsea Lauren/Shutterstock