duolingo amber heard

A Duolingo employee has apologised for joking about Amber Heard on her work’s TikTok

‘I made a mistake… I’m listening’

A social media editor for Duolingo has apologised for joking about Amber Heard on the company’s TikTok.

Memes, shitposts and skits centring the actress have been circulating since the start of her testimony. She’s currently being sued by ex-husband Johnny Depp for defamation, after she wrote an opinion article in 2018 calling herself a “public figure representing domestic abuse.”

But even brands have started to weigh-in with their jokes and opinions. Duolingo’s comment was spotted by a TikTok user yesterday (18th May), leading to huge backlash from people following the trial.

The original TikTok was posted by NBC News, in which Amber Heard calls Depp “an abuser.” Although the comment has since been deleted, screenshots show Duolingo commenting: “y’all think Amber watches tiktok” under the video.

Twitter user Chris Harihar first noticed the comment: “On what planet does a brand – even @duolingo – think it’s cool to crack jokes about an alleged victim of domestic violence?” he said. “The Depp fandom bubble on TikTok is very real but no brand should get anywhere near it.”

Over 40,000 people have liked the tweet since yesterday evening. Many users pointed out how people are treating the trial “like a TV show” and “a spectacle,” especially since the case involves alleged domestic violence on both sides.

The girl behind the Duolingo TikTok account, 24-year-old Zaria Parvez, responded to the backlash with a statement on her (now private) Twitter.

“I made a mistake,” she said. “It’s deleted and I’m listening. I’m 24 – a yr out of college – managing an account that I didn’t expect to grow how it did & learning social responsibility on a curve. Taking full ownership. It’s an early career lesson for me and I’m learning to be better.”

Zaria set her account to private shortly after the statement.