Coleen Rooney Rebekah Vardy trial

Lost WhatsApps and Peter Andre’s ‘chipolata’: Rounding up the Wagatha Christie trial’s key moments

‘Arguing with Coleen is like arguing with a pigeon’

Today marks the final day of the Wagatha Christie trial between Coleen Rooney and Rebekah Vardy, and it’s the end of an era. The High Court trial has been a carnival of chaos and pettiness, as Rebekah Vardy sues Coleen Rooney for defamation after Coleen publicly accused the former of leaking stories to The Sun newspaper about her from Coleen’s private Instagram. Here’s a full rundown of all the key moments from a trial that SHOULD have been filmed from start to finish for the nation to watch every crumb of it. From “Who’s Davy Jones?” to “Wazzaroon08” and back to a phone mysteriously lost in the abyss of the North Sea – here’s everything you need to know and all the key moments from Coleen Rooney VS Rebekah Vardy: The Wagatha Christie trial.

The two sides

Rebekah Vardy’s entire case is that she isn’t the one that leaked the fake stories that Coleen set up on her private Instagram, and that it might have been someone else with access to her account – namely, her publicist Caroline Watt. Coleen Rooney’s side is basically proving that it was Vardy based on circumstantial evidence.

Peter Andre’s ‘chipolata’

When Rooney’s lawyers asked Rebekah Vardy if she respects people’s privacy, she said in front of the court that she does. The court then got told quotes from an interview where Vardy spoke about having sex with Peter Andre and said “Peter’s hung like a chipolata, the smallest trouser equipment I’ve ever seen.” The barrister then asked Vardy if she felt strongly that the size of Andre’s penis needed to be made public knowledge, and Vardy said that it was something she was coerced into saying.

‘Nasty bitch’ WhatsApp messages

The court saw WhatsApp messages where Vardy described someone as a “nasty bitch”. When asked who it was about, Vardy said “I can’t recall exactly, but it’s definitely not Coleen.”

‘If I’m honest…’

On day three of the Coleen Rooney VS Rebekah Vardy Wagatha Christie trial, Vardy was being cross-examined about a photo of the WAGs at the 2018 World Cup – allegedly set up by Vardy and the paparazzi. Rebekah Vardy said “If I’m completely honest I had been drinking quite a bit”, to which Rooney’s barrister said “I would hope you’re honest because you’re sitting in a witness box.”

Emoji debates

The court has been in debate over the true meanings of emojis, because there was a WhatsApp message read out by Rooney’s barrister that said “Poor Coleen” followed by “laughing emojis”. Vardy disputes that the emojis are not actually laughing emojis, but crying ones. The barrister responds: “Okay, crying with laughter emojis.”

A phone lost to the North Sea

Crucial evidence, allegedly containing WhatsApp messages that would show the leaking of the stories, were lost to the North Sea when the phone dropped off the side of a boat.

‘Who is Davy Jones?’

In what is arguably the comedic peak of the trial, after the news of the phone that fell off the boat into the North Sea, Rooney’s barrister said of the phone that “it is now lying at the bottom of the sea in Davy Jones’ locker.” Vardy, rather iconically, asked the court “Who’s Davy Jones?” Some people have never watched Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Dead Man’s Chest and it shows.

Vardy also says there is no backup of the messages because “something odd happened” when she was exporting the files. She then got asked why nine months worth of WhatsApp messages are lost, and she says it’s because she “potentially switched phones” but “Can’t confirm or deny that.” The phone was apparently lost into the North Sea when her publicist Caroline Watt was filming the coastline on a boat that was hit by a wave.

In the aftermath of the leak accusations, Vardy was quoted saying: “Arguing with Coleen is like arguing with a pigeon – you can tell it that you are right and it is wrong but it’s still going to shit in your hair.”

The dissection of Coleen’s ‘…..’

The court debated why Coleen Rooney used so many “….” in her original exposé allegation. Vardy’s lawyers claim it was to build drama, Coleen says she just always talks with a lot of dots.

Wayne Rooney has a private Instagram called ‘Wazzaroon08’

Presented without comment:

Vardy’s lawyer: ‘I believe you have a private Instagram too?’
Wayne Rooney: ‘Yes that’s correct.’
Vardy’s lawyer, squinting through this glasses: ‘Is that… Wazzaroon08?’
Wayne Rooney, smirking: ‘Yes, that’s correct.’

Wayne Rooney says under oath he was asked to have ‘a word’ with Jamie Vardy

“On issues regarding his wife.” Jamie Vardy denies this.

Wayne and Coleen Rooney have gone on holiday

The trial concludes today, with the closing statements being given. Coleen and Wayne Rooney are not present, they’ve flown on holiday because they didn’t expect it to go on this long.

Any more key information regarding the Coleen Rooney VS Rebekah Vardy trial will be added here as it’s revealed.

Featured image via: NEIL HALL/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock.