harry styles, sexuality, harry's house

‘It’s mine’: Harry Styles says it’s ‘outdated’ to ask him about his sexuality

‘I’ve been really open with it with my friends, but that’s my personal experience’

Harry Styles has spoken out about his sexuality, saying it’s his own personal experience and it’s “outdated” to ask him about it.

He also said that he used to feel “ashamed” about his sex life and people even knowing he was having sex.

With the upcoming release of new album, Harry’s House, he has spoken to Better Homes and Gardens magazine. In the interview Harry Styles spoke about his sexuality, sex and life after One Direction.

Particularly in recent years, when he’s begun to experiment with wearing different clothing (including dresses) and nail polish, Harry’s sexuality has been a point of scrutiny and some people have questioned why he hasn’t publicly confirmed his sexuality and how he labels himself.

But Harry says this expectation from people is bizarre and “outdated”, saying he shouldn’t have to label himself or clarify publicly what “boxes” he’s in.

“I’ve been really open with it with my friends, but that’s my personal experience; it’s mine,” he said. “The whole point of where we should be heading, which is toward accepting everybody and being more open, is that it doesn’t matter, and it’s about not having to label everything, not having to clarify what boxes you’re checking.”

He also said that he used to feel “ashamed” about his sex life and people knowing who he was having sex with.

“For a long time, it felt like the only thing that was mine was my sex life. I felt so ashamed about it, ashamed at the idea of people even knowing that I was having sex, let alone who with.”

Harry said he used to be worried in interviews about saying the wrong thing or accidentally revealing something, and said that in the past he’d had to sign “cleanliness clauses” in contracts, which would make them void if he did anything “unsavoury”.

He said: “At the time, there were still the kiss-and-tell things. Working out who I could trust was stressful. But I think I got to a place where I was like, why do I feel ashamed? I’m a 26-year-old man who’s single; it’s like, yes, I have sex.”

Speaking about life after One Direction, he said: “In lockdown, I started processing a lot of stuff that happened when I was in the band.” He felt like he’d had to give a lot of himself away “to get people to engage with you, to like you”, and thought about how all of the pictures he has as a baby are now somewhere on the internet.

Harry said even as a teenager ,journalists used to ask him questions about his sex life and how many people he’d slept with – and he’d worry about how to answer without saying anything but also without annoying them. “Why do I feel like I’m the one who has done something wrong?” he said.