bridgerton cast first roles

These are all the classic TV shows which launched the careers of the Bridgerton cast

One of Jonathan Bailey’s first major roles was in Broadchurch

Both seasons of Bridgerton have featured the very best of British acting talent. From newcomers like Charithra Chandran to household names like Julie Andrews, Adjoa Andoh and Ruth Gemmell, there is no end to the talent the cast bring to the show.

For many of the cast Bridgerton is their first major TV role. Luke Newton who plays Colin Bridgerton revealed he was sleeping on a friend’s sofa before getting the part and Luke Thompson, who plays Benedict Bridgerton, whilst a long-time theatre actor was relatively unknown to mainstream TV viewers before season one and now both Lukes are some of the most popular actors from the show.

However many of the cast had their big TV break long before they joined Bridgerton. Jonathan Baileys’s breakout role was in Broadchurch and Phoebe Dynevor was only 14 years old when she got a main character moment in Waterloo Road.

These are the members of the Bridgerton cast who got their big acting break starring on classic TV shows:

Jonathan Bailey – Anthony Bridgerton

via ITV

Jonathan Bailey has been acting since 1995 when he appeared on stage in a production of Christmas Carol.

His biggest break came from his role as journalist Olly Stevens in ITV’s legendary show Broadchurch. He was in every episode of the first two seasons and since then has gone onto have roles in Crashing, Chewing Gum and W1A before landing the part of Anthony Bridgerton.

Simone Ashley – Kate Sharma

via Netflix

If you’re a Netflix fan you will already recognise Simone Ashley who plays Kate Sharma in Bridgerton as she has had a role in the series Sex Education since the show began.

She’d been in a few episodes of other programmes before Sex Education including Broadchurch, Wolfblood and Casualty. However her role as Olivia in Sex Education is what gave her her big break.

Nicole Coughlan – Penelope Featherington

via Netflix

It feels as if Nicola Coughlan has always been on our screens. However Nicola’s first main role wasn’t until 2018 when landed the role of Clare in Derry Girls.

Before this Nicola had done some voice work and appeared in an odd episode of Doctors but that was it until 2018 when she was cast as Clare in Derry Girls and Hannah in Harlots that she made a name for herself.

Claudia Jessie – Eloise Bridgerton

via BBC

Yes I’m in shock the woman above is Eloise Bridgerton too. Before starring as the fifth Bridgerton sibling Claudia Jessie was perhaps best known for her role as Detective Constable Jodie Taylor in six episodes of season four of Line of Duty.

Though she’d had one off appearances in other shows such as Doctors, Call The Midwife and The Paradise it wasn’t until Line of Duty that Claudia really got her big break.

Adjoa Andoh – Lady Danbury

via BBC

Adjoa Andoh is a British acting legend. She’s been in film, TV and theatre and has been acting since 1984.

Though she’s probably most well known for her roles on stage, Adjoa’s big TV break came when she landed the role of Colette Kierney in Casualty in 2000. She played the role for three years and then went onto have other TV roles in shows such as Doctor Who, M.I.High, Silent Witness, Broadchurch and Line of Duty.

She’s also been in a number of Hollywood blockbuster films as well.

Phoebe Dynevor – Daphne Bridgerton

via BBC

Phoebe Dynvevor has been acting since she was 14 years old and honestly her first role is pretty iconic. She began her career on Waterloo Road as the character Siobhan Mailey and featured in 20 episodes of the show.

Phoebe went onto star in Prisoners’ Wives, Younger and of course her most well know role as Daphne in Bridgerton.

Kathryn Drysdale – Madame Delacroix

via ITV

I’m so glad the character of Madame Delacroix was brought back for season two. Kathryn Drysdale who plays Madame Delacroix is well known for her role in the movie St Trinian’s.

However her first major TV role was in Benidorm in 2010 when she played Natalie. Since then she’s gone onto star as Meghan Markle in The Windsors.

Rupert Young – Jack Featherington

via BBC

Newcomer for season two Rupert Young plays Jack Featherington, however Bridgerton isn’t his first major TV role.

Rupert’s breakthrough role was in the BBC series Merlin where he played Sir Leon for nearly 40 episodes. After that role he went to star in Shameless, Doctor Who and Dear Evan Hansen on stage.

Calam Lynch – Theo Sharpe

via BBC

Another new addition for this season’s Bridgerton is the character of Theo Sharpe who is a love interest for Eloise and he’s played by Calam Lynch.

Calam got his first breakthrough role in the BBC show Mrs Wilson where he played Ruth Wilson’s son. Before starring in the series he had appeared in an episode of Derry Girls but it wasn’t until the Mrs Wilson show he became more recognised.

Regé-Jean Page – The Duke

via BBC

Look I know he’s not on the show anymore but I still think it’s important to mention that Regé-Jean Page began his acting career with a stint on Waterloo Road.

He had previously appeared in two episodes of Fresh Meat and had a cameo in Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows: Part 1 but it wasn’t until Waterloo Road that he got a major role as the character of Guy Braxton.

Season two of Bridgerton is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.