They’re at it again! Here’s a bunch of celebs making Ukraine about themselves

A bikini launch is defo gonna help the people of Ukraine

It’s been less than a week since Russian president Vladimir Putin ordered the invasion into Ukraine causing over 800,000 people to flee the country and yet some celebrities have still managed to make the war about themselves.

When it comes to wars, natural disasters or deadly diseases celebrities have a reputation of being tone deaf. They create cringey videos where they sing “Imagine” with their celebrity pals or they cry about being stuck inside their million dollar mansions whilst thousands die in the pandemic. Yes Ellen Degeneres I’m looking at you.

The best thing celebrities can do in these situations is to donate their cash and shut up. No one needs to hear your unhelpful words or suggestions for how to deal with things.

And the conflict in Ukraine is no different. Celebrities and influencers are using it to promote their latest projects or complaining they can’t go on holiday to Italy because of the war. Must be tough.

These are the celebrities making the war in Ukraine about themselves:

Molly-Mae Hague

Molly-Mae is a busy woman but she still found time in her 24 hours to share her feelings on Ukraine.

Whilst in Mexico for a work trip Molly-Mae shared a post on her Instagram Story asking her followers if they wanted her to carry on posting boujie pictures from Tulum.

via Instagram @mollymae

She wrote on Instagram: “Given everything that’s happening in the world right now I feel it’s impossible to carry on with life as normal without feeling guilty.

“I’m currently away for work shooting a campaign but haven’t known whether to share as usual for the people that come on Instagram to escape… I care about you guys so much and how my content makes you all feel.”

Molly-Mae added a poll below so her followers could vote on whether they wanted to see her content. Two thirds of voters wanted to see the content and so Molly-Mae has been sharing plenty of sunset photos and tanned shoots on the beach.

AnnaLynne McCord

Ever since Gal Gadot released the “Imagine” video in the first week of lockdown I didn’t think it would be possible for a celebrity to create a more tone deaf video, and yet I was wrong.

Last week shortly after Russia invaded Ukraine former 90210 actress AnnaLynne McCord posted a video addressed to Putin in which she wrote a poem where she said she wished she was his mother.

In the two and a half minute video she suggested if Putin had been more loved by his mother then Ukraine would be safe. Because of course it’s a woman’s fault Putin invaded Ukraine.

Some of the worst lines in the poem include “If I was your mother the world would have been warm, so much laughter and joy and nothing would harm,” and “I cannot believe I was born too late, in a different place when I would have loved you so.”

Excuse me whilst I go vomit.

A few days later AnnaLynne went onto defend her comments in a podcast where she asked: “would a happy person start a war?” She continued and argued if Putin had received more love when he was younger and was a happier man now he wouldn’t want to invade Ukraine.

Andy Cohen

Some celebrities share charity resources, others offer a prayer for those in Ukraine, what does Andy Cohen do? He creates a Wordle meme to condemn the war.

Last week Andy posted on his Instagram Story a picture of a Wordle with the word “peace” entered as a guess.

The picture quickly went viral on Twitter and some argued Andy didn’t even enter the word as a guess because none of the letters had been colour coded.

Come on Andy if you’re gonna do performative activism at least commit to the Wordle guess.

John Cena

Professional wrestler turned actor John Cena seemed to think the invasion in Ukraine was a good time to promote his new TV series.

In the early hours of Thursday morning John tweeted to say how he wished he was his character called Peacemaker who is a killer who believes in achieving peace at any cost. Just a little bit contradictory?

He said: “If I could somehow summon the powers of a real life #Peacemaker I think this would be a great time to do so.”

Cheers John, I’m sure the people of Ukraine really appreciated those helpful words.

Joy Behar

Joy Behar is an American comedian and one of the hosts on the talkshow The View. During a discussion on the show last week about the situation in Ukraine Joy got very upset because it might disrupt her Italy holiday plans. Honestly what a disaster for her, I can’t believe Putin didn’t consider her trip when he ordered the missiles.

On The View she said: “I’m scared of what’s going to happen in western Europe, too. You plan a trip, you want to go there, I’ve wanted to go to Italy for four years and I haven’t been able to make it because of the pandemic and now this. It’s like, what’s gonna happen there?”

Babe, I think your trip to Italy will be just fine.

Danielle Bernstein

Of course this list would not be complete without a tone deaf influencer. Fashion influencer Danielle Bernstein aka WeWoreWhat was accused of using the invasion to promote her new swimwear line.

Last week she posted a picture of herself in a bikini to her 2.8 million followers and captioned it saying you can care about world issues and fashion at the same time.

She said: “When I say you can do both, I truly mean it. You can post about fashion and post about world issues. You can raise awareness for your new collection while also raising money to give back.

“You can go about your day while also showing compassion and reaching out to others.”

Danielle finished the post by saying proceeds from her new swimwear collection release would be going to an “on the ground organisation in Ukraine”.

The post received a lot of criticism from followers with one person commenting: “War is not the opportunity to promote your business” and another said: “performance activism, is quite literally, the death of change and reform. Scary to think about.”

The comments have since been turned off on the post and Danielle changed her caption to say her team had sent $250,000 to refugee efforts in Ukraine and she was delaying the launch of her swimwear. She also said they would be sending more money once the swimwear line has been released.