jason lee hollywood unlocked

Meet Jason Lee: The Hollywood Unlocked founder who thinks the Queen is dead

Now people think he predicted her illness

Hollywood Unlocked – an entertainment blog founded by editor Jason Lee – wrongly reported the Queen’s death last night (22nd February). The outlet usually covers everything from Kanye West to the Kardashians, but this particular “news” piece had everyone scratching their heads.

After tons of people tweeted their confusion at the headline, Jason himself doubled down on it. “We don’t post lies and I always stand by my sources,” he said. “Waiting from an official statement from the palace.”

Shortly afterwards, a government official confirmed HRH hadn’t actually died. Dayo Okewale (chief of staff at the House Of Lords) said: “There is no credible source that verifies this.”

A spokesperson for Hollywood Unlocked later revealed an intern had accidentally pressed “publish” on a draft post – yikes.

So, just who exactly is Jason Lee? And was this entire debacle cooked up for clout?

Jason started his career on reality TV

jason lee hollywood unlocked

Photo via VH1

Before founding self-proclaimed gossip blog Hollywood Unlocked, Jason actually started life as a supporting cast member of Love & Hip Hop. The hugely popular franchise has gone on to launch the careers of Cardi B and Remy Ma, as well as giving Jason a huge platform to promote his media outlet and attract millions of followers. He was also allegedly making a cool £90,000 per episode.

His time on the show saw him firing up various feuds within the cast – including rapper Hazel-E after throwing a drink in her face. He eventually left at the end of season three, citing the launch of Hollywood Unlocked Radio for his exit.

Jason earned the nickname “Bigo’s most annoying host,” and wasn’t exactly a fan favourite.

Jason founded Hollywood Unlocked in 2015

While starring on Love & Hip Hop, Jason became the founder, editor-in-chief and CEO of Hollywood Unlocked. As well as the blog – which posts “news” stories every day – the outlet also has a YouTube channel with over 300,000 subscribers, as well as its own radio station.

While the false reporting of the Queen’s death is undoubtedly its biggest controversy to date – people have largely accepted the gossip blog’s posts should always be taken with a pinch of salt.

The CEO is no stranger to scandal

jason lee lizzo

Photo via Instagram before edits

Before beefing with Lizzie herself, Jason was involved in some majorly high-profile celebrity feuds. Back in 2020, he was called out by body-positivity activists for fat-shaming Lizzo. On his radio show, he made jokes about Tyra Banks’ weight gain, before comparing her to the Good As Hell singer. When questioned about his own body, the editor said: “I’m thick and juicy.”

In summer 2021, a video surfaced online of Beyoncé politely avoiding Jason at the Roc Nation pre-Grammy brunch. He unsubtly made a play for her attention while she blatantly walked away from him. Legend behaviour, if you ask me.

But don’t worry, he’s doing just fine

Jason’s net worth has reportedly multiplied since he appeared on Love & Hip Hop. The media mogul also has a combined following of over half-a-million, with Hollywood Unlocked currently sitting at 2.8 million followers after the Queen controversy.

Now the Queen is *actually* under medical supervision, Jason has something to say

The former blogger, who apparently always stands by his sources, seemingly tweeted about his “role” in the Queen’s illness. People replied, calling him “petty”, while some are simply saying “London has fallen.”