Exposed: These are the 15 worst unis in the country for social inclusion

I’ll try not to be surprised at the top three

Britain’s top universities still have a long way to go on social inclusion, according to a new uni ranking that reveals just how tough it can be at the country’s elite institutions if you’re not from a certain background.

The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022 has ranked unis on three different measures: how many students are from a non-selective state school, how many ethnic minority students are at the uni, and how many students are the first in their family to go to uni.

Cambridge tops the list with the worst social inclusion rankings, where only 47 per cent of their students come from a non-selective state school. This is only worse at two other unis in the country – Oxford and Imperial, where 45 per cent and 42 per cent come from a non-selective state school, respectively.

Oxford is the second least socially inclusive uni in the country, with Bristol just shortly behind. Durham – which came in second place last year– have seemingly improved their social inclusion, now ranking seventh.

The stats also reveal that nine unis, out of the 15, take less than a 25 per cent minority student background.  The Royal Agricultural University and Exeter were the worst.

Only 14 per cent of Oxford students are the first in their family to attend university. This is compared to say, Liverpool, which have 40 per cent of first generation students.

These are the 15 worst unis in the country for social inclusion: