Elle Darby followers

Elle Darby has lost thousands of followers since her racist tweets from 2011 resurfaced

She’s lost nearly 50,000 on Instagram alone

Influencer Elle Darby has recently posted an apology video after facing backlash from her followers for her racist and homophobic tweets she made in 2011. On New Year’s Eve she posted an apology onto her Instagram but despite that, she has been losing thousands of followers and subscribers every day. Prior to her ten-year-old tweets coming to light, Elle had 785,545 followers on Instagram but she quickly lost over 46,000 bringing her down to just over 739,000.

On YouTuber, her subscriber count was 611,000 however since her old tweets started to gain attention, she has lost 12,000 subscribers in total. Her fans and followers have had a lot to say on the matter of her past tweets, one user said Elle Darby is a prime example of the fact we shouldn’t idolise influencers.

Another person on Twitter wrote: “The recent news on Elle Darby should be a lesson to every single one of us that glorifying and idolising ‘influencers’ is so beyond ridiculous. I don’t even have words. I get it assuming the worse is beyond draining, but you don’t know these people or their true intentions. When you’re ‘manifesting’ or ‘speaking into existence’ to have a life like Elle Darby and Connor just think twice about your actions because we’ve been shown time and time again that the reality of these influencers’ lives can actually be quite scary.”

Then YouTuber couple, James and Carys Whittaker started receiving backlash online after posting a statement to their Instagram showing their support for Elle and Connor during this time. Carys, who has over 867,000 followers on Instagram, posted this statement below to her story:

via @busybee.carys on Instagram

In it, she explains how she has reached out to Elle over the last few days and has been checking in on her. She said: “We feel so hurt, upset and confused by the situation and know that so many of you are too, especially those who are part of the groups that were targeted in the tweets. It is unacceptable for any individual or group to be targeted online or elsewhere, whether that’s due to skin colour, nationality, sexual preference or anything else. We can’t imagine the pain and upset this will have caused.”

The statement continues to explain their feelings against targeted online abuse and Carys says: “We do not however want to be part of a tsunami of online violence towards Elle and Connor, especially as we know what this has led to in the past.” However since receiving criticism online for this statement, they have both unfollowed Elle.

You can watch Elle Darby’s full apology video here.