Elle Darby apology video

Here’s what Elle Darby says in her apology video about her ‘racist’ and ‘homophobic’ tweets

‘I don’t recognise myself’

26-year-old YouTuber and influencer Elle Darby has recently come under fire after racist and hateful tweets she made in 2011 resurfaced. On New Year’s Eve she posted an apology onto her Instagram but since then it’s been radio silence until today. Earlier this afternoon, she uploaded an apology video called “I’m sorry” onto her channel. So if you’re not planning on watching it then here’s everything Elle Darby says in her apology video:

Elle Darby starts the apology video by saying she’s tried to film it so many times but it’s never good enough because “there are no words” to explain how sorry she is for her previous tweets. She continues: “The tweets in 2011 were so disgusting and so far from the person I am today. They were racist, they were fatphobic, they were homophobic.

“I am ashamed and disgusted in myself. There is not one person on this planet that hates me more than I do right now. And the pain I know I have caused so many of you eats me up. To know that I was someone you considered a great friend, this image of me is now tainted by someone who I don’t even recognise myself to have ever been.”

Elle explains sorry doesn’t even cut it and neither does her emotions getting the better of her. And she hopes that her fans can see from the time she’s been on YouTube That this is not the person she is today. “This is the most hurtful thing I could’ve done to so many of you,” she said, “And I know it feels very fresh because it’s just come out and you may now see me with that same mindset and those same thoughts and I know those disgusting words and those awful tweets are always going to be associated with my name, and I wish I could do something to take that back and change that but the only thing I can do is continue to better myself.”

She says that since she posted those tweets, she has grown from a girl to a woman and has lived more life, experienced more things and had better education. She continues: “That younger version of me has let down everybody in my entire life. My family, my son, my friends, my colleagues, my entire team, everybody that has ever watched and supported me on here – I’ve let down everybody. There is no more humiliating feeling than that.”

Elle said she will now be taking time offline just to reflect on everything that has happened and to process a situation which she will never forgive herself for. You can watch the full apology video below: