If you want to feel bad, this is where Team GB’s Olympic medallists went to uni

Yeah, this lot are overachievers

Yes, the Olympics is the pinnacle of athletic achievement, a chance to see what the human body can do when really pushed. But, let’s be honest, it’s also an utterly demoralising meet-up for overachievers.

Not content with being in the top three in the world for their sports, a bunch of Team GB’s Toyko medallists also have degrees.

It’s sickening really. Most people just move home with their parents after uni. Stop making us look bad, guys. Here’s where all the Team GB Tokyo medallists went to uni.

Duncan Scott – four medals, all in swimming – University of Stirling

Fresh from graduating last month with a 2.1, Duncan Scott has won more medals at a single Olympic games than any other British athlete in history. And you, what, made some pesto pasta and half-heartedly applied for PwC?

Alex Yee – mixed triathlon relay (gold) and men’s triathlon (silver) – Leeds Beckett

Alex Yee did a BSc in sport and exercise science at Leeds Beckett. Then he bagged a silver in the men’s triathlon, along with a gold in the triathlon relay.

And he can run a 5k in 13:26.

Georgia Taylor-Brown – mixed triathlon relay (gold) and women’s triathlon (silver) – Leeds Beckett

It must actually be quite depressing doing couch-to-5k in Leeds. As well as being in Leeds, you’ve got a decent chance of seeing an Olympic triathlete leap out of a canal and bust out a super-human 5k.

Georgia Taylor-Brown won the silver medal in the women’s triathlon. Like Alex Yee, she’s got a degree in Sports and Exercise Science from Leeds Beckett.

Jonny Brownlee – mixed triathlon relay (gold) – University of Leeds

Like, seriously, it must be depressing trying to haul your cig-ridden lungs round Leeds when you know this lot could be round a corner making you look silly.

Brownlee got three As at A-Level before going on to study history at the University of Leeds. Wonder if he gives his relay teammates “poly” chat to hype them up?

Bryony Page – women’s trampolining (silver) – University of Sheffield

Trampoline gymnast Bryony Page got herself a first in biology from Sheffield, graduating in 2015. Fun fact: her dissertation was on the sounds dinosaurs made.

Second fun fact: She appeared on University Challenge.

Tom Dean – men’s 200m freestyle swimming (gold) – University of Bath

Swimming pools are like very big baths. So it’s fitting that, before winning a gold medal in the pool, Tom Dean currently studies mechanical engineering at Bath.

Jacob Dawson –  men’s eight rowing (bronze) – University of Washington

Our rowers love to study abroad.

Josh Bugajski – men’s eight rowing (bronze) – Cardiff and Oxford

Possibly the most academically decorated medallist so far, rower Bugajski got an MPharm from Cardiff before going on to do an MSc in Oncology at Oxford.

Tom George – men’s eight rowing (bronze) – Princeton (USA)

Smartypants Tom George did international relations at Princeton, graduating in 2018. I bet the post-training chats get intellectual.

Mohamed Sbihi – men’s eight rowing (bronze) – St Mary’s University, Twickenham

Sbihi went to St Mary’s University, Twickenham, and graduated in 2010. He also has an MBE and medals in three different games.

Charles Elwes – men’s eight rowing (bronze) – Yale (USA)

Another US-educated rower, Elwes got a degree in political science and government from top-tier Yale.

Oliver Wynne-Griffith – men’s eight rowing (bronze) – Yale (USA)

What is it with rowers and studying at great US unis? Wynne-Griffith majored in political science at Yale. He’s also a keen debater and poet.

James Rudkin – men’s eight rowing (bronze) – Newcastle University

Rower Rudkin holds both a BA and MA from Newcastle. In his time there, from 2012-2016, he picked up a 2.1 in history & politics, and a merit in his history MA.

Tom Ford – men’s eight rowing (gold) – Newcastle University

Another member of the only rowing crew to bag a medal in Tokyo, Tom Ford got a 2.2 in geography and town planning from Newcastle, before going on to do a master’s in marketing.