Uni tuition fees could actually, finally be cut to £7,500 a year

But engineering nerds will get extra money from the government, so it’s not all good news

Uni tuition fees could finally be cut to £7,500 a year.

In what feels like the eighteenth time the idea has surfaced, the government will be launching a consultation on the issue next month.

The Augar review initially recommended fees be cut in 2019. Since then it’s been on the back burner while the government is busy telling students to stop killing their grandparents.

In that time, Philip Augar – the person who came up with the idea for cutting fees – turned his back on it, saying it would be “destabilising” given the pandemic.

Now it’s back, with a consultation due to be launched next month by the Department for Education, the Sunday Times reports.

STEM degrees would receive extra funding from the government under the plans.

Gavin Williamson – education secretary and social sciences grad – slammed “dead-end” courses, and praised those who decided to study sciences.

“The record number of people taking up science and engineering demonstrates that many are already starting to pivot away from dead-end courses that leave young people with nothing but debt,” he said.