The One is a ‘crazy’ new Netflix series about dating in the future which dropped today

Netflix says the drama ‘lives somewhere between Behind Her Eyes, Black Mirror and The Stranger’

Netflix has just released a new drama series called The One which sounds like the kind of wild show which will fill the Behind Her Eyes shaped hole in our lives.

Based on a book by John Marrs and written by the creator of Misfits, the eight-part dystopian drama is set in the future and takes a new look at the potential for relationships. It asks one simple question: What if we could find our perfect partner through DNA matching? The series follows the CEO of a agency who believes just that, and has revolutionised dating as we know it. However, things take a turn when a body shows up and we find out more about the CEO’s twisted personality.

Netflix is already comparing the series to Black Mirror, Behind Her Eyes and The Stranger which, if you ask me, sounds like a mix you can’t miss out on. So here’s everything you need to know about the show and what people are saying about it, before you give it a go for yourself.

The One, Netflix, drama, series, plot, about, reviews, dating, thriller, crime

via Netflix

The One on Netflix is all about the CEO of MatchDNA

The One centres around Rebecca, the CEO of billion pound agency called MatchDNA. The company has its customers send off a DNA sample, pay a fee, and it will use your sample to match you with your soulmate. The company is said to have revolutionised dating, and have completely removed any risk with relationships.

But then, a body is found and people are suspicious of Rebecca. The show takes an even more wild turn into crime and the secrets she is keeping about her company. In true Behind Her Eyes style, it looks as though Rebecca isn’t exactly who she first appeared to be. She’s willing to do anything to uphold her reputation and that of the company.

via Netflix

The official synopsis reads: “The One is set five minutes in the future, in a world where a DNA test can find your perfect partner – the one person you’re genetically predisposed to fall passionately in love with. No matter how good your relationship, which one of us can honestly say we haven’t thought about whether there is someone better out there? What if a hair sample is all it takes to find them? The idea is simple, but the implications are explosive. We will never think of love and relationships in the same way again.”

The series is being compared to Black Mirror and Behind Her Eyes, and people are calling it ‘crazy’ and ‘addictive’

Netflix marketed the show in a tweet which read: “THE ONE is a new eight-part British drama that lives somewhere between Behind Her Eyes, Black Mirror and The Stranger.” Which probably means it’s set in a dystopian future of dating experiments, not to dissimilarly to the Hang the DJ episode of Black Mirror, has lots of twists and dark turns and characters who aren’t quite what you first think.

via Netflix

Den of Greek describes the series a “functional crime thriller” which “pulls off a few surprises and does gather binge-watch momentum”. Stylist adds: “This isn’t your typical sci-fi thriller; it’s also the sort of crime drama that will keep you guessing throughout the series, too.”

People on Twitter have already started the “crazy” series, with TV critic Toby Earle saying the series is an “addictive thriller” which he recommends for a “good binge”.

Watch the trailer for The One on Netflix here:

If you were looking for some plans for this weekend, here they are.

The One is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, quizzes, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.