All the evidence that shows just how staged Married at First Sight Australia is

Actually quite shook at the revelation that Ines and Sam’s affair was faked

We’re used to overly-scripted UK reality shows, but that kind of thing could never happen to the sun-drenched contestants of Married at First Sight Australia, right?

Well, it turns out there’s a fair amount of evidence showing the invisible hand of the producers. It’s inevitable really – if the drama’s just not popping, there’s no choice but to throw some metaphorical fireworks into the room and equally metaphorical spanners into the works.

From fake affairs to dodgily-edited conversations, some of the stars of the show have been revealing the producers’ secrets and the hidden truth behind some of the show’s most dramatic moments.

Ines and Sam’s affair was apparently totally fake

Although we could swear the hotel-lobby vibe was totally real, Sam has apparently said the affair was nothing of the sort.

‘They pulled me into a dark room, a black room, and asked me to do the Ines thing. They set that up,” he said on Instagram. “They made Ines DM me on the phone, that was all staged.”

Even the iconic bed-throwing wasn’t all it seemed: “I throw her on the bed on that date night, not even five seconds later, the producers come in and de-mic you.”

He also revealed that they didn’t sleep together.

Jess says she was ‘tricked’ into flirting with Nic

Jess didn’t emerge from the MAFS process well – in fact thousands of you voted her as the series’ biggest villain. But everything might not have been as it seems.

While she says the Dan affair was real, her dinner party flirtation with Nic was apparently “the only part of my journey that was massively manipulated”, alleging the producers plied her with drink.

“A lot of it got edited so I looked like this banshee that’s like ‘give me your husband!’ It wasn’t really like that. I’m not this evil husband-stealing witch that doesn’t care about anyone and has no empathy,” she told MailOnline.

The producers made Lauren say she was a lesbian to shock Matt

Poor Matt – you’ve just lost your virginity, taking things very slowly, and suddenly your new wife is all like “by the way I’m a lesbian and I want you to dominate me in bed.” The conversation seemed really out of the blue – and Lauren has now said that the producers had a heavy hand in making it so.

In fact, when she mentioned that she “went through a phase in my life, as most girls do, when they’re young adults,” the producers latched onto it and got her to repeat it – saying she was a lesbian.

Lauren says she argued with producers as she never labelled herself as a lesbian, but gave in due to sleep deprivation.

In an interview on Australian TV, Lauren revealed that viewers also only saw a 10 second snippet of a half hour conversation.

“I was talking to Matt about some of my friends who are married and are into swinging … and I said, ‘There’s nothing wrong with that, everyone in relationships have different desires and needs, but it’s not for me’,” she said.

“For them to paint me as this nympho, it was disgusting. I feel so let down.”

They’re told what to talk about at dinner parties

Yes, the dinner parties are drama central. But that kind of thing doesn’t just happen naturally. Mel revealed that the producers tell the couples who to talk about, to get the juice flowing.

“At 10am the camera crew would come and film you getting ready for the dinner party and chatting to your partner. They’ll get you to speak about specific people who might have drama going on and then you’re taken to the warehouse where it’s filmed, and you have to wait in a tent.” Mel told Cosmopolitan.

Jesus, just let them bitch of their own accord – I’m sure it’ll come naturally.

Married at First Sight Australia Season 6 is available to watch on All 4 now. 

Related Married at First Sight Australia stories:

• All the Married at First Sight Australia Season 6 gossip that went down after the show

• Married at First Sight Australia Season 6: Where are they now?

• The MAFS web: The Season 6 cast members who stayed in touch after the show

• Here are all the Instagrams for the Married at First Sight Australia Season 6 cast

• Which Married at First Sight Australia girl are you? Take this quiz to find out