Aberdeen Uni introduces award celebrating the ‘kindness’ of student Emily Drouet

Emily Drouet took her own life in halls after being abused by her boyfriend

Aberdeen Uni has launched an award in honour of Emily Drouet, a student who took her own life after being assaulted by her boyfriend.

The Emily Drouet award will be given annually to a student who displays kindness in supporting other students.

“Although nothing can bring Emily back or change what happened, we are delighted that Emily’s legacy will be one of kindness,” said Fiona Drouet, Emily’s mother.

Emily took her own life in halls after a campaign of abuse by boyfriend Angus Milligan, which included choking her and sending abusive texts.

Milligan was convicted of assault, a communications offence, and threatening and abusive behaviour, but only received 120 hours of community service.

The award, developed together with Emily’s family, will also include a paid internship with the university’s student support team, allowing a student to offer ideas on how the services could improve.

Alongside this, the university will also fund an undergrad research project, giving a student the chance to research student suicide and gender-based violence.

“It is a bittersweet moment for us but Emily radiated kindness and compassion and she would be so honoured to be remembered in this way,” said Fiona Drouet.

“She would never stand back if someone was in need of help. We are hoping that the award process will be uplifting as we learn how students have made a difference in their communities – we are sure Emily will be as proud as we are.”

Nick Edwards, Aberdeen’s head of student support, said: “We wanted to do something to honour Emily that would also encapsulate her kind and loving nature and we hope that the Emily Drouet award will do just that.

“Emily was a very compassionate, kind and caring young woman and it is these qualities that we are celebrating in the Emily Drouet Award.”

Related story recommended by this writer:

Emily took her own life months into university. Then the screenshots and photos of her abuse came out

Emily Drouet’s family are suing her abusive ex

‘Controlling and violent’ student who drove girlfriend to suicide is now partying at Oxford Brookes