noel fielding matt lucas

Noel and Matt were easily the best part of this year’s Great British Bake Off

Don’t know what I’m going to do without them

This year’s series of The Great British Bake Off came to an end last night, with Peter winning the title and becoming the youngest ever winner.

The show has easily been one of the highlights of everyone’s year. It’s been the wholesome content we needed, where the worst thing that can happen is someone’s dough not rising.

And when disaster does occur we can always count on Noel Fielding and Matt Lucas to bring some much needed joy, laughter and words of encouragement. There has been a lot of injustices on this year’s Bake Off (Hermine was robbed!), but the one thing the show did get right is having Noel and Matt as the presenters.

They were honestly the best part of this year’s Great British Bake Off and this is every reason why:

They were really funny

Maybe it’s because 2020 has been devoid of humour, but this year I found watching Noel and Matt genuinely funny. Like actual laugh out loud funny. Their jokes were never at anyone’s expense, apart from maybe Paul’s.

They were light hearted, always got the tone right and brought a much needed tension relief when someone’s bake was going into the disaster zone.

They were just so kind

Kindness was needed in abundance this year, and the Bake Off tent was no exception. A lot of contestants found their bakes not always going to plan, but they always had Noel and Matt on hand to offer them words of encouragement and to make them a bit better about a dessert not setting.

Noel and Matt see how important the competition is to the bakers and are always there to offer a shoulder to cry on, words of wisdom and a joke to make them feel better.

Noel’s talk to Laura last night about Björn Borg almost bought a tear to my eye. It was so comforting and showed he really does care about the bakers.

If everyone had even a tiny bit of Noel and Matt’s kindness the world would be a better place.

They had a cute bromance

I don’t think anyone thought any presenters could be better for Bake Off than Sue and Mel, and then Sandi and Noel came along. We were all gutted when Sandi left the series, but actually Noel and Matt work so well together.

They bounce off each other and genuinely seem to be mates. I will be very disappointed if this is not true.

Their bizarre wardrobes

Sorry but not one else can pull off a weirdly patterned shirt like Noel Fielding and Matt Lucas. That’s it, just want to put some love out there for the shirts.

And I’m not the only one who thinks they were the best part of Bake Off, this is what everyone else had to say on Twitter:

Now just off to go cry about not seeing Matt and Noel for another year.

Featured image credit: Channel 4