haunting bly manor, ending, it's you it's me it's us

‘It’s you, it’s me, it’s us’: The Haunting of Bly Manor ending explained

It’s all perfectly confusing

If the atrocious accent of older Jamie, the principal storyteller at the end of The Haunting of Bly Manor, didn’t distract you from the main content of the last episode, you’ll likely be as confused as many were in regards to what on earth went on at certain points. Namely, what happened in the lake for Dani to have the lady of the lake turn on her heel and return Flora without drowning her? She did it for everyone else, so why did “It’s you, it’s me, it’s us” make her suddenly stop?

A lot seems to go unexplained in this series, so let’s try and make a little sense of what this ending really means. Why didn’t the lady of the lake drown Flora? What is the significance of the “It’s you, it’s me, it’s us” chant in The Haunting of Bly Manor? Why does Dani end up drowning herself and becoming the next lady of the lake?

haunting bly manor, it's you it's me it's us

We know that Viola was a noble lady who ended up getting very sick. After a series of wrongdoings on her sister’s part after Viola’s death, she came back to murder her and has haunted the manor every evening since. Over time, her soul erases, and her facial features fade away, leaving her with those creepy dimples where her eyes and mouth used to be. Anyone who is unfortunate enough to be in her path from the lake to her old bedroom and back is snatched and taken with her.

In the finale, the lady of the lake grabs Dani, before seeing Flora on the bed and mistaking her for her own child. She drops Dani, and begins her journey down to the lake with a screaming Flora in her grasp. Then, when she is about to be drowned, Dani lets Viola’s remaining spirit enter her body by saying: “It’s you, it’s me, it’s us.”

It’s not the whole spirit that enters Dani’s body (for it has been whittled away over time – hence the face), but it’s enough that it starts to take over eventually. Viola is free, and as such her spell over the property and the ghosts that reside on it is broken – no more Miss Jessel, no more Hannah Grose – they’re all gone. All seems happy until the remaining piece of Viola’s spirit keeps trying to overpower Dani. One morning, she leaves and goes back to Bly, where she drowns herself and ties up all of the loose ends.

So what does “It’s you, it’s me, it’s us” mean?

The phrase is only introduced a short while earlier, so it’s a little underwhelming when Dani ends up screaming it out to the lady of the lake, as well as rather confusing. Does “It’s you, it’s me, it’s us” have any particular meaning or relevance? How did Dani know that this is what would stop the lady from drowning Flora?

Essentially, this is a phrase used to allow a spirit to enter your body. Peter discovered it initially, although it’s a bit murky exactly how or why this particular phrase seems to do the trick. It means that, rather than have a spirit try and infiltrate your body, you welcome it with open arms.

So Dani was sacrificing herself to ensure that the kids were happy and no longer haunted by the evil lady. Would’ve thought they could just move out, but nobody wants to get rid of a big mansion like that even if there’s a murderous spirit, right!

So there you have it – perfectly… spooky.