All the theories of where Count Xavier from Netflix’s Unsolved Mysteries is now

The ‘House of Terror’ episode says he’s wanted in connection to the murder of his family

Netflix has just released the first six episodes of its new true crime series, Unsolved Mysteries. The series is a reboot of the classic series, this time with new stories and a modern Netflix twist. One of the mysteries which has got everyone talking is episode three: House of Terror. This episode tells the story of Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès and the murders of his family members.

Count Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès is the father of an aristocratic French family. His wife Agnès, and their children Arthur, Thomas, Anne, and Benoît were all found dead under the porch of their house in April 2011. Count Xavier was never found, even though there was CCTV of him leaving the home a week after the murders, driving to a hotel and he was seen walking across the parking lot. There was also CCTV of him at cash points, and his credit card was traced being used in restaurants.

Since the deaths, Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès has never been found. But there are plenty of theories of possible places he could be.

Dupont de Ligonnès, family, Netflix, Unsolved Mysteries, now, sightings, theories, case, House of Terror, death, flee, escape

The family, via Netflix

The Netflix documentary presents the possibility he took his own life, but was never found

Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès was last seen in the parking lot of a hotel in the South of France. There he was spotted “saying goodbye” to the CCTV camera as he walked into the nearby mountains carrying a bag which police believe contained the gun he used to kill his family.

This has caused many to believe that he had gone there to take his own life. An extensive search of the area was done, and nothing was found, but this is the only real evidence police have of what could have happened to him.

Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès, Count, Xavier, Netflix, Unsolved Mysteries, now, sightings, theories, case, House of Terror, death, flee, escape

via Netflix

Friends of Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès say in the Netflix documentary that he could have fled to South America

Friends and associates in the Netflix documentary say the most likely theory is that he has gone to South America, to somewhere like Argentina. He can speak fluent English and Spanish so it would be easy enough for him to have adapted to life there. Him leading investigators to thinking he had taken his own life was just him buying more time to escape.

via Netflix

He could have fled to somewhere else

In the Netflix documentary it is said that the area Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès was last seen in has extensive connections to other places in the world. He could have taken a boat somewhere, got on a cargo ship, the highway nearby leads to Italy and there are mountain paths which lead to Italy. There are also trains there which end up in Croatia.

Some believe Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès has undergone plastic surgery and started a new life in Scotland

According to The Sun, police believe the Count may have undergone plastic surgery in a bid to evade justice. It was also thought he may have remarried and begun a new life in Scotland under a new identity.

This report came after a Scottish man was arrested as being mistaken as Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès. The man was detained at Glasgow airport after boarding an EasyJet flight. Fingerprints taken initially came back with a partial match, but it was later concluded the man wasn’t the missing Count.

via Netflix

He’s still alive and is taunting the media

There was a report in 2015 that a French journalist had received a photo from Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès, with a handwritten note on the back. The note read: “Je suis encore vivant”, which translates to “I’m still alive”.

The journalist handed the photo over to the police, who reportedly had the letter sent for handwriting analysis as well as DNA and fingerprint testing. But because there was no more information about the note, it served as very little evidence.

A friend is keeping him under-wraps, and he’s still in France

It has also been reported that prosecutors on the case have never ruled out the possibility that De Ligonnès could still living rough, or is being hidden by members of his extended family or friends, who own country homes around France.

Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès could actually be innocent and has escaped

Lots of friends of the Count say they can’t see why he would have done such a thing to his family. They seemed “wholesome”, happy and he had never had any other run-ins with police. It is also said in the Netflix series that he couldn’t have possibly been the one who buried his family because his back problems physically prevented him from being able to bend that low. In an interview, his sister says she believes he is innocent.

A possible theory stemming from this is that he is actually innocent and has escaped the scene. He may have literally escaped and be on the run from whoever did this to his family or has fled to mentally escape what has happened.

If you have any information about this case you can submit it via the Unsolved website. 

The first six episodes of Unsolved Mysteries are available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.