Park dates are now a thing, and this is how to have a good one

Remember to pack some tinnys

Lockdown has been going on for over 50 days and if you’re single that’s a long time to go without an awkward, slightly disappointing Tinder date. However the new rules allow us to meet up with one person outside our household in a park, whilst observing a two metre distance, which means the new tradition of park dates can begin.

FaceTime dates are a great way to meet your Tinder, Bumble and Hinge matches for the first time, you don’t have to get out of sweat pants and you don’t need to spend any money. However now you can crank things up a notch, by meeting up for a date in the park, just remember you can’t touch each other. It’s practically Victorian.

Please do not sit this close

So how do you navigate the tricky situation that is the park first date? I’m talking an actual date here and not shagging in the shady corners of the woods btw. I will not be giving advice for that.

You need to think about your outfit, what tinny you’re bringing with you and how you’re going to leave the date. This is how to have a successful first date in a park:

The things you need to consider before suggesting or accepting a park date

Right, first of all you need to consider a few things. Firstly you need to ask yourself, will I be actually be able to go on this date, knowing you’re not allowed to touch, hug or kiss your date and will probably be leaving feeling quite horny and frustrated?

If you think you can do that, then the second thing to consider is, do you suffer from hay fever and could going on this date outside potentially make you ill?

If your allergies are all in check then the final thing to consider before suggesting or accepting a date is how far away are they from you? If you’re having to drive half an hour to a park it’s really not worth that Tinder date and you’re potentially putting more people at risk by travelling further than you need to.

If your date lives near you and the local park is within walking distance for you both, then please crack on.

What you’re doing on the date

Usually with a first date you could both just turn up to bar and see where the night takes you, but this is lockdown and social distancing needs to be observed, so you need to think ahead of what you’re going to do.

It’s either a walk, sitting down with some drinks or a combination of both. Decide which you’re going to do before the date so you can arrange where to meet.

The outfit

Depending on your park activity and the weather there are a multitude of options of what to wear. Just keep it casual and to be honest if you can put on a pair of jeans at this point your date should be impressed.

But do still try and make as much effort as you would do on a normal first date, but for the love of god, do not wear heels, you’re going to the park. And remember it’s outside, so bring a jacket, shivering is not a fit look.

What to bring on the date

If you’re just going for a walk then you don’t need to bring anything on the date. However if you’re going to be sitting down for a few drinks then bring a picnic mat or a blanket, cause this is Britain, and the ground will probably be damp.

The drinks

Arguably the best part of a date, make sure you’ve both brought a few tinnys as you can’t share. And which tinny you pick is crucial, it’s one of the first things they’re going to be able to judge you on, so make sure you give off the right impression.

Are you going to be chill with a can of Stella or Strongbow Dark Fruits? Will you be showing how edgy you are with your Red Stripe? Or will you be letting them know on the first date that you’re all about that boujee lifestyle with a G&T in a tin?

The location

Obviously it’s in a park, but try and go somewhere away from others and sit two metres apart. Don’t go for a bench because they’re definitely not two metres apart.

Ending the date

On a first date you’re often nervous and therefore get your drinks down you quicker than usual, which is always fun and can create some classic stories. However with a socially distanced date, try not to get pissed, as you will definitely forget about the rules and end up snogging them on a bench. You’ll probably get fined and most kisses aren’t worth £100.

As hard as it try to remember you can’t hug or kiss goodbye, so settle for a good old fashioned wave.

Featured image credit before changes made: Clem Onojeghuo on Unsplash