Tiger King’s Doc Antle was featured in Britney Spears’s iconic VMA performance

Yes, it’s the show with the snake

The world exposed in Netflix’s Tiger King is a strange one. We don’t know the truth about Carole Baskin’s husband. We can’t comprehend why Joe Exotic would sport a mullet. We certainly can’t understand why people would live in the shadiest of conditions just to hang around with an oversized cat that really just wants to eat you.

However-on top of this a new mystery has emerged. Doc Antle, probably the strangest of all the tiger people has been spotted in a 2001 Britney Spears performance!

I mean we knew Doc Antle’s company dealt with Hollywood productions and the like – the documentary tells us that much, but their performance was legendary. Backstage photos have been doing the rounds on Twitter. See below:

The tiger wrangler, looking far younger than he does on Netflix, was seen in the performance of “I’m a Slave 4 U”. He was managing the tiger in the cage Britney began her performance in.

While the tiger helps Britney make an amazing entrance, it is mostly unused later in the performance, leaving Doc Antle and his big cat sitting int he cage for the rest of the performance.

Britney then takes the iconic snake to finish off the show. It’s unknown whether Doc Antle supplied the other animals.

As if that weren’t mental enough, in the following year Spears was papped next to a woman who looks scarily similar to Carole Baskin at the 2002 VMAs. You couldn’t make it up.

In the course of the Netflix documentary, Doc Bhagavan Antle is shown to be, at best, incredibly shady. Interviews with his former staff on the show indicated that the only way to progress quickly in his apprenticeship scheme was to sleep with him.

In a Rolling Stone exposé, they reveal a long list of requirements to work for Doc Antle.

“Recruits must be single and childless. They cannot expect any time off for any reason. They must be within 20 pounds of their ‘perfect athletic weight’ or working to get there, able to do push-ups, pull-ups, and run a 12-minute mile. They must be vegetarian and can’t smoke or drink. They must have watched The Devil Wears Prada and Kill Bill: Volume 2, to get an idea of what kind of ruthless tutelage to expect. And they must submit a photo. But most of all, they must commit to T.I.G.E.R.S., not simply as a workplace, but as a lifestyle.”

Wild.