At least these 24 ‘gonna tell my kids’ memes make the future look bright

We are rewriting history

Hide Images

You’ve probably seen the a few “I’m gonna tell my kids this was” memes floating around on Twitter today. It’s the latest meme that everyone is getting involved with and I’m not surprised, the gonna tell my kids meme makes the world look like a much better place.

It’s your chance to rewrite history, kind of. In the future we’ll be living in a world where people think Meghan Markle was Queen, Ovie from Love Island is their dad and Jonathan from Queer Eye was the actual Jesus Christ.

Here’s where the meme started, how to get behind it and the best examples.

How do you do the gonna tell my kids meme?

The meme format is quite simple. You take a picture of anyone or anything and caption it “I’m gonna tell my kids this was” and then fill in with something else.

It’s usually a celebrity and you caption it saying you’d tell your kids the celebrity was a different historical figure. Obviously the image and the caption don’t match, but the two quite often have some characteristics in common.

Where did the meme start?

According to KnowYourMeme, the origin of the telling my kids meme was a tweet a couple of months ago. On September 19th 2019, Twitter user @Wake_n_Bacon uploaded the earliest example of the meme which read: “I gonna tell my kids in 2055 that this was Justin Trudeau”.

This version of the meme was referencing when a video of Justin Trudeau seen in blackface surfaced in September.

The meme has began to spread in the past few days.

Here are the best examples of the gonna tell my kids meme:

If you still don’t understand the meme or just want to look at loads of examples, here are the best so far.

1.

2.

3.

4.

5.

6.

7.

8.

9.

10.

11.

12.

13.

14.

15.

16.

17.

18.

19.

20.

21.

22.

23.

24.

For even more memes, follow The Tab on Instagram.