Image may contain: Text

Ok, so what does ‘ok boomer’ actually mean?

Because I am confusion

Everywhere you look this week, you'll see the same confusing phrase "ok boomer." It's in memes, tweets, on t-shirts and now even politicians are saying it. And you may think you understand the phrase, but may be a little unsure. So what is the official ok boomer meaning?

So what does ok boomer mean?

Baby boomers is the demographic before Generation X. Baby boomers were born between 1946 and 1964. Ok boomer is a dismissive phrase used to mock baby boomers and those who are seen as old-fashioned and out of touch with reality.

So for example, if an older person says something like: "Millennials need to stop complaining about never owning a house when they keep spending all their money on houmous and avocados. When I was 19, I already had two houses AND I ran a successful business." The appropriate response would be "ok boomer", which is essentially telling them to shut the hell up.

It's also because young people don't have the energy to argue with people who will never see beyond their present-day privileges.

Who said ok boomer first?

The origins remain unclear but the first time it was used was in 2018. However the phrase didn't become popular until January 2019, when someone created an Ironic Doge meme which said "OK BOOMER" on it.

It was frequently used all the way through this year on Reddit and iFunny, but in October, people picked up on it more as it infiltrated Twitter.

On October 29th 2019, The New York Times published an article called "'OK boomer' Marks End of Friendly Generational Relations."

Controversy around the phrase ok boomer

Some boomers have been so offended, they've compared it to the n-word. But obviously this is stupid.

Then people started making jokes about this, obviously.