Image may contain: Face, Leisure Activities, Apparel, Clothing, Night Life, Party, Human, Person

Phat Fridays are ending

The final Phat Fridays will take place this Friday

In a Facebook post Phat Fridays organisers announced that PHAT FRIDAYS will be stopping this Friday.

Brothers Ollie and Ben, who started Phat Fridays, said that the decision to stop the event was a very "tough decision" and one they made with a "heavy heart" but with "difficulties within the current nightlife climate in York and the impending closure of Mansion nightclub" they felt it was "now time for Phats to bow out gracefully."

During a night out In the summer of 2012, my brother and I realised that there was a HUGE gap in York for a Friday night…

Posted by Phat Fridays York on Tuesday, November 26, 2019

In the Facebook post the brothers closed with a "BIG F.U to the University of York Students' Union" whom they claimed refused to work with them and support the event.

The brothers also thanked all the students who had partied and made amazing memories with them as they recalled all the "good times" they had had and how they have "come a long way together" from Duchess to Mansion, Domino's to Doughnuts, T-shirts to Vans, Hip Hop to R&B to Grime.

When asked if the brothers are planning any more student events Ollie told The Tab York they would "quite possibly in the near future, when the opportunity arises. But right now is not the right time".

Image may contain: Disco, Party, Night Life, Night Club, Club, Human, Person

Phat Fridays was a popular student night

Phat Fridays first launched in September 2012 when Ollie and Ben realised there was a "huge gap in York for a Friday night student event".

The event has since become York's Biggest and Longest running student event with capacity crowds almost every weekend with over 130,000 admissions over the 7 year period.

The Facebook post was filled with students heartbreak at the announcement of the ending of Phats Fridays.

Phoebe Grace Hamill commented: "can't believe it! So many amazing memories, including my 21st birthday"

Image may contain: Symbol, Trademark, Logo, Face, Word, Text

Additionally, Fi Cunningham shared her shock: "Whaaaaaaat?!? No more phat Fridays??"

Image may contain: Number, Person, Human, Home Decor, Text, Logo, Symbol, Trademark, Word

This Friday will be the Final Phats Friday at Mansion so get your tickets here and celebrate nearly a decade of sick times with the best soundtrack in town.

Recommended stories by writer:

A Fresher’s guide to the alternative club nights of York

Clubbers of the Week: we’re BACK

Mansion will close from January