YUSU Pres, Ben Leatham has been nominated for York Person of the Year award

Ending the year on a high

The President of the University of York’s Student Union, Ben Leatham, has been nominated for York Person of the Year Award.

The Community Pride Awards are run jointly by the York Press and the City of York Council and  are sponsored benenden. All nominees must live in or contribute to life in the City of York Council area. Leatham’s nomination was put forward by the University’s research development coordinator, Stephanie Pearson.

What a man

The principal reason for the nomination was that of Leatham cutting his Christmas break short to return to York in the wake of the damaging floods that had struck the city at that time.

He implemented a dedicated telephone number for students to contact for assistance, assured affected students that they would be given temporary accommodation, and personally cycled around the city taking photos of areas of concern for students.

Ben Leatham told The Tab: “I am incredibly honoured to have been nominated for the award. The Christmas floods were devastating for many people and I’m glad I could be useful in some way.”

If you know someone who you think deserves a chance at winning the award, you can nominate them at yorkpress.co.uk/pride. Entries have until Friday, July 15 to be submitted.