These Somerville girls are sticking moustaches on their faces for the whole of Movember

That’s if they don’t fall off

Charity Movember

Four charitable Somerville students will be wearing fake moustaches all day and all night throughout November.

Tutorials and nights out are set to take an interesting turn as the foursome don black ‘taches to raise money for Movember.

The annual “grow facial hair and stop prostate cancer” event, has always been a male-dominated fundraising event.

But now the four female students have raised £550 in less than a week.

Looking good

Led by the not-self-conscious-at-all Jodie Spencer, VP for RAG and 3rd year historian, four Somerville girls have started their own Movember campaign.

They’ll be donning fake moustaches all day (and night) for the next month, with Jodie having one drawn on each day.

They’ve raised £550 in less than a week, thanks in part to a huge anonymous donation of £388. If they hit their target of £750, all four girls will have to draw on a nice ‘tache each day.

They’re even considering a £1000 stretch goal, which will let everyone who’s donated choose the facial styles that the girls will flaunt throughout the month.

Jodie said she had two reasons for starting the campaign. She told The Tab: “It’s such an easy way to spark attention about a good cause – we will get asked SO many questions, and raise awareness to so many men.”

Even if we get just five people to get themselves checked, then we’ll have done well. Secondly, IT’S SO FUNNY.”

The big question now is whether she goes with eye-liner, sharpie or henna to draw the whiskers on.

“When else in your life can you walk around for a month with a moustache drawn on?”

The group are hoping to get the whole of Oxford to embrace the Movember craze, regardless of an ability to grow facial hair. “We want as many people in Oxford looking slightly strange in order to spark attention & to raise questions.”

For everyone who asks us why we have moustaches on our face – we can bring up the need to be aware about prostate cancer, testicular cancer and men’s mental health. It encourages men to get checked – just like Breast Cancer does so much to encourage women.”

Movember will see a number of facial-hair-related events, including a launch night in Wahoo on Halloween, pub quizzes, a dodgeball tournament and a talk from “no-balls Ben”, a two-time survivor of testicular cancer who works at Movember HQ.

Expect to see ‘taches everywhere over the next few weeks, and make sure to pull out your wallet at least once to support the cause.