Manchester un buildings make up HALF of Building of the Year shortlist

Ali G wasn’t one of them

The shortlist for the Greater Manchester of the year have been released containing three Manchester uni buildings. 

The Whitworth Art Gallery, National Graphene Institute, and the new Manchester Cancer Research Centre are all in the running for the award, organised by Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce.

Manchester Cancer Research Centre

All three buildings offer outstanding facilities and are part of the University’s Campus Masterplan to develop a world-class campus by 2022.

Following a £15m refurbishment that doubled the building’s public space, The Whitworth Gallery has been a success.

It won the prestigious 2015 Museum of the Year award as well as being shortlisted for the Stirling Prize.

The Whitworth

Inside the Whitworth Art Gallery

The £28.5m Manchester Cancer Research Centre opened in June. The state-of-the-art building houses over 200 staff working to transform the treatment of cancer.

The five-storey National Graphene Institute is the largest space in the world dedicated to the research of graphene. It offers cutting-edge facilities that will enable researchers to discover the full potential of the ‘miracle’ material.

National Graphene Institute

The other contenders for the award comprise of the Victoria Station redevelopment, Link Building and the Soapworks in Salford. The winner is due to be announced on 12 November.