SU assault leaves undergrad with broken eye socket and cheekbone

He didn’t realise his strength, the court heard

A lairy luf undergrad has pleaded guilty after he battered another clubber in the face on a night out in the SU.

Student Adam Palmer celebrated his 21st birthday by punching a fellow student, breaking his eye socket and cheekbone.

Palmer pleaded guilty to the unprovoked attack on a 20-year old male in the SU bar on December 13 last year.

Palmer was given eight months jail time, however suspended for 12 months, and ordered to complete 100 hours of unpaid work.

Prosecutor Lynsey Knott told Leicester Crown Court that the victim and his friends were making their way across the dance floor when Palmer abruptly “pushed him and then punched him in the face.

“The complainant stumbled to the other side of the room and realised he was bleeding.”

Along with a fractured cheekbone and eye socket, he also suffered a broken tooth and bruising.

Knott added: “He was in considerable pain before and after the surgery, his sleep was disrupted and he was on a liquid died for two weeks.
“It took place five days before his 21st birthday and he feels annoyed he wasn’t able to celebrate it properly”

The victim, a Loughborough undergrad, said: “I did nothing whatsoever to provoke what happened to me and I’m waiting to see if it’s affected my degree because I had a series of exams in January.”

Judge Robert Brown has suspended the sentence, reasoning, “I’m satisfied that having behaved in that way [Palmer] has shown genuine remorse.

“It was one punch and no weapon was used.”

Louise McGhee, Palmer’s mitigator, said: “It was extremely busy in the club and although he clearly wasn’t provoked (as shown by CCTV footage), he perceived that he was.

“He’s a large lad who plays rugby and didn’t realise his strength.”

McGhee reported Palmer was deeply remorseful for his actions, and wished to apologise.