Nine items you wish you brought to Leeds as a Fresher

Cheap baccy = a priority

When moving to Leeds, it’s only natural to wonder what you should bring when moving away from home for the first time. What decorations should I bring for an aesthetic bedroom? What cute but comfy clothes should I bring to look fashionable and chic? Should I bring my PS4 in case I get bored?

But nothing can truly prepare you for the Leeds lifestyle, and PS4s and LED lights will only get you so far, so here are 9 things you wish you brought to Leeds.

1. Sliders/Slippers

I’ll start simple. Student accommodation gets grotty, especially if you’re in the likes of James Baillie where the floor is constantly covered in the contents of a spilt ashtray. If you leave your room without some shoes on, prepare to bring a mouldy meal back to your room with you. They’ll also come in handy for  2am trips to Saino’s.

This was the second day of our flat and the cleanest it ever was

2. Fancy dress

There will be a time when you’re invited to an Otley Run and you simply can’t afford a costume. Bring every bit of fancy dress you own – even if it seems weird or not useful. I can guarantee ogre ears paired with a green dress will make you a worthwhile Shrek.

Notice the Bruiser in Elle Wood’s handbag? Easy costume

3. Cargos (obviously)

You will inevitably swap your skinny jeans for cargo trousers twice the size of the body a few weeks or months in – it’s the Leeds effect. You will then only exclusively shop at Depop, buying clothes that absolutely no other girl in Leeds owns, obviously. If you don’t want to stick out and look like a Fresher, just get a pair of cargos – but absolutely not the cuffed ones.

4. Laundry basket with handles

The dreaded Circuit laundry. Not only are the washing machines always being used, but the laundry room is miles away from your room. Whilst I brought a laundry basket, it never occurred to me how far away the laundry room would be. I had to go in two lifts, a total of 6 floors, (but for some people this was up to 26) and across a whole bridge (!!!). Thanks White Rose, xoxo. Bring one with a handle. Save your arms.

5. Speaker

Should you ever happen to be without decks at a motive (which ngl would be a rare occurrence in Leeds, don’t we all have a ‘DJ’ mate?), a speaker will be your best friend. A speaker is an essential at any pres or afters, which you are almost guaranteed to host. Just be aware of the ASBO notice that may follow.

6. Baccy/vapes

No matter how many times you’ve told yourself you will never be nicotine dependent, that will all change in Leeds. It’ll hit you on way to the Mint Warehouse smoking area whilst fighting the hundreds of people in your way, just so you can have a cig. Just to prepare, bulk buy some vapes (Elux is an obvious fave in Leeds) or some cheap baccy from your home town. Becoming a social smoker is inevitable.

7. Sesh shoes

Leeds is a party city, and that’s what attracts 96% of the students that come here. But the clubs are disgusting. Imagine your flat kitchen floor x100, but covered in piss and flyaway ket. Have a dedicated pair of shoes that are already trashed. Air force are a cult favourite here in Leeds.

8. Lifetime supply of Berocca

Freshers who think they can hack hangovers will be proven wrong once they are in Leeds. By October, one night at Beaverworks will have you dying for a week. That’s until you drink your beloved Berocca. The comedown will be over by that 9am. And it helps relieve stress, what more could you want?

9. Money

Okay, this is the most important one. As fun as it is to spend all your student loan in freshers week at crap clubs like Space and Pryzm, and on sandwiches from Bakery164 to cure your hangovers, this money won’t last forever. Try and bring some savings if you can – even if it seems like a small amount. It will come in handy. Don’t be living off pot noodles by week three x