Proposed student flats in Lancaster city centre’s historic corn mill and YMCA building

Plan for 18 new student flats has now been proposed to the council

The former corn mill and YMCA, located on Fleet Square near New Road, has been submitted to Lancaster City Council to gain permission for 18 new student studio flats to be built in its place.

The building is Grade II listed and within the City Conservation Area and therefore requires listed building consent as well as planning permission.

After having a series of various owners, it was taken over by MHO Mayar Ltd, who now plan to transform the historic site into residential student flats, reports the Lancaster Guardian.

The current building was constructed in 1881 by J Bibby & Sons who used it to market flour and animal feed. The building was equipped with milling and crushing equipment before this was transferred to a larger mill in Liverpool.

In 1888, the building was taken over by William and John Pye who ran a corn and feed merchants’ business from there up until 1997 when trading ceased. The YMCA then bought the building in 2001 and occupied it until 2023 when MHO Mayar Ltd took it over.

The permission for 18 student studio flats will be brought to Lancaster City Council.

Related articles recommended by this writer: