Bristol Uni confirms 139 new Covid cases since Friday

There have been 100+ new cases every three days

Bristol University has confirmed 139 new Covid cases since Friday. This means so far 393 students and three staff members have tested positive for coronavirus.

There has been a steady rise in the number of active cases on campus since the university first U-turned and decided to publish the number of Covid-19 cases six days ago.

On October 7, there were a total of 119 cases, on October 9th there were 254 cases, and as of today there 393 cases. That is an increase of 100+ Covid-19 cases every three days.

This comes just after it was reported that 300 students in The Courtrooms would made to self isolate. Hiatt Baker N block has also been locked down following a surge of Covid cases.

As student areas around he country become host to some of the biggest spikes VC Hugh Brady announced on a live stream last week that UoB was working with Public Health England “to monitor the numbers” and “boost testing capacity”.

He said that ” Until the last few days, there was little to suggest the rates were different to that wider group of the population of the same age. Now we are concerned that this may be changing, and because of that we will be publishing our numbers.”

Follow The Bristol Tab’s Facebook and Instagram pages for the latest Bristol Uni news and updates!